Wednesday 20 May 2009

Back to the countryside

I had a particularly stressful morning. The contractor was screwing up the project and client was fuming on the other end. We were running behind schedule, I ended up losing my temper (gasp!). Finally, we had to find someone else to do the job. I drove to the far end of Singapore to discuss the project details with my other contractor who exuded so much serenity, it bolstered my confidence.

After the meeting, I decided to cool off by driving through the Kranji countryside instead of hitting the highway to return to the office. While cruising through the tranquil roads, I felt at peace again and decided to stop by Bollywood Veggies for a leisurely lunch at their Poison Ivy Bistro.

I really think I belong to the countryside instead of the city. The moment I am surrounded by lush greenery, I feel so at home. How I wish my work revolves around plants and animals instead of people!

I like how everything is so natural and a little untamed in the garden.

They do have a sense of humour too.

Herbs and flowering plants grow happily together in the yard.

Indeed I felt so welcomed (by the plants).

Poison Ivy Bistro uses their own produce to prepare the dishes. I ordered a glass of cold home brewed lemon grass tea. It's a very refreshing drink, sans sugar, but with a nice lemon grass scent.

I also had the papaya salad made using raw green papaya from their farm, garnished with flowers from the yard and a piquant/sweet/spicy dressing and peanuts.

Enjoying the view from where I sat.

6 comments:

Fresh Fry aka 福星 said...

OMG.....great place! but rather inaccessible for peeper who dun drive = me.

but Blur Ting, me think u can go ahead and do wat u want if well-strategised. add oil! =)

Blur Ting said...

Fry - Yes, it is a back-to-nature kind of place. They even have a real cow grazing grass in the yard!!

I feel so happy whenever I am in the countryside. I would be happy to run a place similar to this. I should start looking at my parent's farm for inspiration!

Fresh Fry aka 福星 said...

Wow! yah, i think u should look into your folks for inspiration also. =)))

Petunia Lee said...

Yes... I think you have something to build on. And I think you can make it grow and flourish. I do so envy you... I wish I had a farm to go back to too!

Blur Ting said...

Petunia - Yes, I realise how I had taken thte farm for granted.

auntielucia said...

1) here's a very tempting review of Bollywood Veggies:
http://nevertrustascrawnyfoodie.blogspot.com/2009/05/bollywood-veggies-poison-ivy-bistro.html

2) I've been there a few times but always thought the food OK but not o-o-t-w to make a special trip for..

3) Blur: why don't u move yr current office to yr parents' farm. that way can save on rental n travelling time, be near yr parents and also be on the farm which makes u happy. As S'pore is small and most places easily, it's accessible, it's something that can be realised; not a pipe dream! Just do it!

Chowmahalla Palace

During our week in Hyderabad, some of the places we visited include the Mecca Mosque, the Charminar (the icon of Hyderabad), Sufi Shrine, Bi...