Sunday 14 September 2008

A dog's life

SK turns 14 today and it's my birthday tomorrow. Knowing how we both love dogs, CH arranged for us to visit a dog's sanctuary in Johor, Malaysia yesterday as a birthday treat. As SK didn't quite know what to expect, he decided not to go but when he saw the photos of our trip, he was filled with regret. It's ok, we can always bring him in future.

Yesterday's trip was organised by Noah's Ark Natural Animal Sanctuary to raise funds for the upkeep of the animals at the shelter. We arrived in three big coaches to find the sanctuary situated on 10 acres of lush terrain, it's truly a Shangri-la to happy free-roaming dogs, cats and horses.

I was thoroughly impressed with the founder's effort to home the animals in a very natural and peaceful environment. Because of them, many strays or homeless dogs are today living a happy and healthy life in a beautiful sanctuary.

Every dog here has its story. Some were found with maggots in their body. Instead of being put to sleep, they were rescued, treated and nurtured back to health. One dog named Bicycle was unceremoniously dumped by his owner some years back. Another beautiful dog was onced owned by a bed-ridden lady who was so improvished but loved her dog so much that she shared her meagre meals with the dog until some volunteers brought it to Noah's Ark.

I've never been surrounded by over 400 dogs in my life. The dogs were all so friendly and well behaved, the feeling of being so close to them was incredible!

This dog was checking me out once I entered the premises.


Max, the friendly Rottweiler, loves planting kisses on unsuspecting people.

"Xiao Bai" (Little White) was among the 4 dogs rescued and sent to the sanctuary by this kind old man who went back to visit them. One of the dogs was so thrilled to see the man, he kept jumping with joy and clinging onto his arm. It was such a touching sight.

Don't you think this cute little Jack Russell looks like Rusty?


Cat sunbathing at the patio.


These are too adorable!

They're everywhere!

In every nook and cranny.

Lush and natural environment for the dogs to roam freely.

I've never seen so many dogs living so harmoniously together in my life!

Some of the newcomers or troublemakers had to be fenced up during visiting day. The newbies will be allowed to run free once they are used to the surroundings.


This is one of the 4 horses there. He used to be a racehorse.


CH's friend Leng, an animal lover who volunteers at the sanctuary.

The rustic environment even has water features and pavilions for the dog's enjoyment.


Every dog has his favourite spot for snoozing.

Aww, look at this!


If you like dogs, there're plenty here in all shapes and sizes for you to pat.

This little cutie is my favourite!


Well, I like this big fella too. Dang! I love every single one of them.
I miss my Rusty!

17 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow! That's just amazing! Being a animal lover I'd love to be able to set up a place like this - just look at these animals, they are so peaceful! That's it, when I retire I'll sign up as volunteer.

Anonymous said...

We really must applaud the efforts of all the volunteers who keep the place going. Running an outfit like this is a gargantuan task.

Anonymous said...

Wow..that is really cool.. and this kind of shelter type thing costs a lot of money and time. Not everyone can do such a thing!

Amel said...

WOW!!! That's such a place to visit, esp. for a dog lover like you. No wonder SK is envious he he he...

My fave is of course the cat, then the dog that resembles Rusty, then the little cutie he he he...

I agree with CH: BIG APPLAUSE for all the volunteers who keep the place going!!!!!!!

The Real Mother Hen said...

CH is sweet to arrange this trip.

And happy birthday my dear friend :)

fishwithoutbicycle said...

That's so cool!! A doggy paradise. Have a great birthday :-)

mooiness said...

Like everyone else here had commented, that's an amazing place. And this is a very unique and thoughtful gift from CH. :)

Blur Ting said...

CKL - Good on ya! You would love it there. Or better yet, you could set up one for the doggies.

Nick Phillips (15/03/1967 - 04/11/2022) said...

Dogs, dogs and more dogs. I love the place :D

Blur Ting said...

CH - Thanks for the trip. Indeed, their efforts and love for the animals are commendable.

Blur Ting said...

JY - The food cost itself is unimaginable! All the animals there are very well fed and groomed. I didn't even spot a tick on the dogs!

Blur Ting said...

Amel - You would love the cats area. Unfortunately we didn't know until we left the sanctuary. It's such a big place, we missed it as it's situated at the back of the farm.

Blur Ting said...

MH - Thank you for your wishes. Yah, this year we both wanted to do something meaningful for our birthday. He did his mangrove cleanup thing and I visited the dogs.:-)

Blur Ting said...

Fish - Indeed. The moment I stepped in, I kept thinking to myself, "It's a doggy paradise!"

Blur Ting said...

Mooiness - Yes, amazing concept. Like a resort just for dogs!

Blur Ting said...

Nick- You and your family would love it, I can assure you!

The World According To Me said...

What a brilliant place. Congratulations to the owners for helping those doggies.
I would love to do something worthwhile like that, but I also know every time I saw the suffering inflicted on those innocent animals, I would be in floods of tears!

Chowmahalla Palace

During our week in Hyderabad, some of the places we visited include the Mecca Mosque, the Charminar (the icon of Hyderabad), Sufi Shrine, Bi...