Wednesday 4 July 2007

A winter's tale

I touched down in Copenhagen on a cold wintry day, excited by the prospect of exploring one of the most beautiful cities in northern Europe, one that’s touted to be the happiest place in the world.

En route to the hotel, I caught a fleeting glimpse of the architectural richness of Copenhagen. This is, after all, one of the world's great design capitals, whose fascinating past coexists with the very latest trends in architecture, design and fashion.

I found my hotel, nestled amongst the 17th century Dutch-style town houses that line the quay at Nyhavn. The sky was overcast when I went for a walk. Save for the cheerfully painted buildings along the waterfront, everything around me looked dull and gray.

Where is that city full of zest and life, a pulsating metropol and historical oasis that I had come to expect? A lackluster and uninspiring day like this failed to lift the spirits of an inquisitive traveler like me.

Indeed the historical buildings and ancient streets, outstanding museums and galleries, were there for me to admire. But my brain was already numb from the freezing cold wind. Alas, this frigid weather just wasn’t right for lingering.

People around me were walking briskly in the City Hall Square, ducking into restaurants and shops to escape from the cold. Even the enchanting Tivoli Gardens was closed for winter. Without the squeals and laughter or the whoosh of the rides, it looked old and tired. I wandered into the lonely park behind the Rosenborg Palace, drawn by the trees in golden hues of orange and yellow, kicking up leaves scattered on the ground.

I aborted my plans to visit The Little Mermaid, the most popular tourist attraction in Denmark and one of the most photographed statues in the world. It was simply too cold. I’ll be back to enjoy this beautiful city of Copenhagen some other day. On a sunny day.

Sunset at Nyhavn.

The quay at Nyhavn.
Dynamic buildings in bright colours.
Tivoli - closed for winter.
The park at the Rosenborg Palace.
The Rosenborg Palace.
Not The Little Mermaid but a sculpture in the Park.
Colourful roses at the florist.

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

I've always wanted to go to the far northern Europe... My MIL went.. I think to Denmark. It sound just lovely up there and great photos!

Unknown said...

Hi... did I tell you already how much I love your travel posts and the gorgeous pictures... I have but I'll do it again...
LOVE "EM

Blur Ting said...

Thanks ladies! There was no sun when I was there, or I would have been able to take nicer photos. It must be really lovely in summer.

Epimenides said...

Beautiful photos ting! Pitty about the cold! It looks a wonderful place to walk about!

Mike Minzes said...

Great pictures and a great story!

The Real Mother Hen said...

The quay at Nyhavn - that picture is speaks volume. Love it :)

Anonymous said...

An excellent reason to partake of the travel you love so dearly: revisit Copenhagen in the spring!

Blur Ting said...

I was dramatizing abit. It's a lovely place and I had fun. The place would be so alive in Spring and summer when eveyone take to the streets.

Anonymous said...

Incredible points. Sound arguments. Keep up the great spirit.



Here is my homepage ... Https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QNsQoZeUrNQ/

Anonymous said...

best e cigarette, buy electronic cigarette, electronic cigarette, e cigarette, smokeless cigarettes, best e cigarette

Chowmahalla Palace

During our week in Hyderabad, some of the places we visited include the Mecca Mosque, the Charminar (the icon of Hyderabad), Sufi Shrine, Bi...