Wednesday 11 July 2007

Receiving compliments

One of the most unforgettable compliments I have ever received is from a friend who said “I look forward to receiving your emails. It’s exciting, like opening Christmas presents.”

In case you’re wondering, I wasn’t sending anything extraordinary or naughty. Maybe my emails are sincere or funny, or maybe he had a crush on me, I don’t know. But I know it is nice knowing that people notice or value you.

You can lift anyone’s spirit with a sincere compliment. It creates such positive energy. Compliments amplify positive feelings and are powerful in motivating continued efforts. People strive to do more of what brings praise from others.

But do you know how to receive a compliment nicely? I tend to be self deprecating at times, and would find all kinds of excuses to reject them. But now, I have learned to accept them graciously. The best way is to put a big smile, blush a little and say “thank you!”

It’s like receiving a gift of love. It doesn’t matter whether you agree or not, like it or not, accepting it graciously will make the other party feel good. By denying it or deflecting their kind words, you may put them in an awkward position.

You may even elaborate on their compliment, or return them one. But if you have nothing nice to say, a sincere ‘thank you’ would suffice.

I guess it’s probably easier in the cyber world. We have enough time to react, bask in it privately, before sending a gracious reply. If only it’s that easy in real life.

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yep! That is so completely true! I can't stand it when I give someone a compliment and they are all like, "oh no I'm terrible at juggling and riding the unicycle, I always drop things and fall down...and my grandmother thinks I'm a slut." I mean, what the hell is that? Whenever I get a compliment I just smile and say, "thanks for noticing." ;)

Blur Ting said...

ha ha, that just cracks me up! Yup, pls take that as a compliment.

Anonymous said...

I 2nd David' notion.

Darren G. Miller said...

I have a problem with that too. I tend to be self-deprecating. Of course now I attribute it to all the negative voices in my life and if they are all right, then how can this person saying nice things about me also be right?

I've gotten a lot better lately, I think. Oh... and Blur? Thank you for your compliment!

The Real Mother Hen said...

David is so funny :)
Ting - you're right though... personally I don't know how to react while feeling I've been put on the spot (receiving compliment)

Epimenides said...

I like gibving out compliments but don't really like receivingt them. It feels so awkward!

Mike Minzes said...

Spoken like a true Ting Ting.

Doesn't take any time out of ones day to complement someone, but it can take an entire life time to learn to accept them.

Good for you, Ting.

Anonymous said...

Blur, I used to be horrible about it when I was younger, but now I accept compliments much more gracefully. I don't know if its because I like myself more now than I did then... but I'm definitely better about receiving praise.

Anonymous said...

Blur: I take just about everything as a compliment. So thanks! :)

Mother Hen: Thanks for noticing! ;)

Michelle said...

Hi Blur Ting

I'm glad you found me or I'd never have found your blog. Great topic! I always feel goofy when people compliment me. I think it is way harder to recieve with grace, than to give actually.

Blur Ting said...

Hey guys, I hope that this post will give you encouragement to accept compliments as they come. They're given to you simply because you deserve it!

Chowmahalla Palace

During our week in Hyderabad, some of the places we visited include the Mecca Mosque, the Charminar (the icon of Hyderabad), Sufi Shrine, Bi...