Saturday 7 July 2007

Winners all

I just came back from the 10k Saucony 100-Plus Passion Run. Our Senior Minister was there presenting awards to the top runners. Of course I didn't win anything. I'm just happy to complete the run.

Sometimes I wonder if these winners are machines in disguise. They practically sprint all the way, from the start to the finish line, making it look so easy.

What started out as a way to kill time has become a minor addiction. I’ll be lying if I tell you running is always enjoyable. Well, it is at times but when I’m struggling under the sweltering heat, you’ll find me cursing under my breath.

To be honest I run because I am lazy. Afterall, it’s one of the easiest ways to get fit. Running, quite simply, is convenient. You don't need any skills or elaborate gear. No special playing field or apparatus. No need to juggle the schedules of others. Just a pair of shoes and the inclination to get out the door.

Though it has such enormous health benefits, it's probably the less tangible benefits that finally motivate us to persist, to become "runners."

Running gives me an opportunity to spend time with myself. During my runs, the worries of the day slip away. I become confident as I push my own limits, sometimes surprising myself by exceeding my own expectations. It’s a sport of discipline, sometimes of sacrifice, and always of self-reliance.

When I was struggling at the final leg this morning, I asked myself that same old question “Do I really want to do this again?” The answer is “Yes, I will.”

With my running buddies before a 15k run.
At the Jingle Bell Run in Oregon organised by the Arthritis Association.
I completed the 10K Shape Run with my best friend.
Before the run.
Not too tired to smile... at the Safra 12k Run.
At the finishing point of the 15k New Balance Run.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Way to go!! I've only done 10k, a long time ago and good enough for me! Looks fun tho!

Chowmahalla Palace

During our week in Hyderabad, some of the places we visited include the Mecca Mosque, the Charminar (the icon of Hyderabad), Sufi Shrine, Bi...