Saturday 18 December 2010

Mandurah and Scarborough

After spending 3 nights in Margaret River, we packed up and drove north towards Perth City. The 300km journey took us more than 4 hours, with a stopover in the beautiful city of Mandurah.

A quick drive around the city quickly revealed an exciting mix of luxurious homes nestled along the waterways. The lifestyle here is hard to beat!

When in Mandurah, we were advised to eat the fish and chips, touted as the best in Perth. During our quick stopover, we saw several small outlets and decided to settle for Jetty Fish & Chips.


I wouldn't say the ones we ate were that fantastic. I think the fish and batter at Cape Lavender in Margaret River were more superior.

The walk around the coast was a most pleasant one. It was sunny, yet breezy and cool. I wouldn't mind retiring in Mandurah. Afterall, it is only 73 km away from Perth city and the international airport.




Having driven for hours, we were looking forward to our final destination - the Seashells Resort at Scarborough Beach. Getting there was relatively easy but a little nerve-wrecking. From the small country roads, we were suddenly thrust onto the major highways packed with fast moving cars.

We made it to our serviced apartment, a pleasant two-storey building facing Brighton Beach, in the late afternoon.



Every day, before sundown, the beach is filled with surfers. I wonder how these folks can tolerate the cold waters. Mind you, with the relentless wind, the air was really chilly during summer!



Except for a few courageous swimmers, the shore is usually peaceful during our morning strolls. This surfer town is perfect for a weekend getway where the lifestyle is relaxed and stress-free. A shuttle bus service runs daily between here and Perth.


There's a large array of food available, from restaurants to fast food. A large Coles supermarket is just a short walk away from where we stayed.

On our first night, we ate at Cafe Del Pescatore, well known for good seafood dishes.

I had chilli mussels with lots of Italian and garlic bread.

SK had fish.

CH ate scallops.

On our last night at Scarborough, we ate at Nandos Chicken. We had never been to the perpetually crowded one in Singapore, so we were happy to find one in Scarborough. Nandos is famous for the hot and spicy chicken but due to my persistent cough, I had to settle for the mildly spicy chicken paella.

Even then, the spice proved to be too much for my throat, I ended up eating the rice instead of the spicy chicken.

4 comments:

The Real Mother Hen said...

What a beautiful place. If you were to retire there, you will sure find me visiting you ;)

Blur Ting said...

MH - Yes, very tempting but I have a problem with the climate. Temperate climate makes my skin itch. I have rashes all over my body now. It always happens when I travel to dry places.

Malar said...

So beautiful place!

Anonymous said...

You are so cool! I don't think I have read through something like that before.
So wonderful to discover somebody with some unique thoughts
on this subject matter. Really.. many thanks for starting this
up. This site is one thing that is required on the internet, someone
with some originality!

Take a look at my blog ... rijschool delft

Chowmahalla Palace

During our week in Hyderabad, some of the places we visited include the Mecca Mosque, the Charminar (the icon of Hyderabad), Sufi Shrine, Bi...