Sunday 29 July 2007

Penpals

During those days, almost everyone had penpals. I had two. One was a South Korean boy called Jung and the other was a Marcus John from Singapore.

It was fun exchanging letters with Jung. He was always sincere and earnest though his staccato style of writing made it difficult to interpret what he was saying sometimes. I could detect that he became infatuated after we exchanged photos for he began the letters with “My dearest girlfriend…” After he migrated to San Diego with his family, he sent me photos of his new home on the coast and updated me on his exciting life in the new city. We stopped writing to each other when he was in the university. Perhaps he found better things to do or we simply lost interest in writing letters.

Marcus John was a different character altogether. From his letters, I visualized a matured young man who spouted inspiring quotes and stories. He wrote long letters of encouragement and hope. One day, he sent me a blurry photo of himself in a park. Well, let’s just say I couldn’t really make out his features on that tiny photo. We exchanged letters for a couple of years before we decided to meet for coffee. He hinted that I shouldn’t be expecting a pretty face. Ha ha, maybe he was being modest? What the heck! I wasn’t going on a date or something, we were just penpals!

I kept scanning for his face at the mall. Finally a lanky chap walked up to me. “Hi, I’m Marcus John.” He stretched out his hand and flashed a big smile. OMG! He had decaying front teeth! I wasn’t trying to be judgmental or anything but I am quite anal when it comes to personal hygiene and presentation. What a bummer! I forced a smile and shook his hand. At the coffee place, my eyes kept focusing on his two front teeth, already rotting and blackened at the edges. Call me shallow if you want but I just couldn’t help it! I couldn't believe he was that guy who wrote so beautifully!

We continued writing for a while but eventually stopped as other priorities took over.

11 comments:

mooiness said...

If the guy is not poor, then there really is no excuse for bad dental hygiene. Not brushing your teeth is one thing, but to actually let it rot and go black is weird - doesn't he look in the mirror???

So no, you weren't being anal. :)

Blur Ting said...

That's why it weird. Then again, he's kinda "Ah Beng".

But when it comes to dating, dental hygiene is of UTMOST importance! :-D

Anonymous said...

Blur... you're not vain are you??? Naah...just kidding..I'm the same way...!

Blur Ting said...

We're all vain girls :-) What is life without some vanity right?

Unknown said...

Cavities are contagious! Yup, the bacteria that causes tooth decay is transmissible, I hope you didn't share a drink ;)

Blur Ting said...

Eww, no sharing of drinks with Mr Rotten Teeth! :-)

Unknown said...

Whenever you try to look away from something your eyes just keep fixating on that thing. It's like a train wreck you can't help watching.

We had this pen pal program in school it was some global thingy. I had quite a few penpals. One was a boy from Italy, one girl and boy from Malaysia, Indonesia and one from Finland.. We lost touch after a couple of years though

Blur Ting said...

You're so right RM! I think that's how we passed time when we were younger, writing letters and all. I mean, we had no internet and emails...gee, I'm sure we had plenty of time on our hands.

Anonymous said...

Okay, so let me get this straight: you are anal about oral hygiene? That just sounds so very wrong. ;)

I know exactly what you mean though. I work with a guy, total stereotypical Southern redneck, says "git 'er done!" all the time. He lost both front teeth due to decay from too much Dr. Pepper. The company didn't want him walking around toothless and hooked him up with free dental services. He got a bridge or something and his two front teeth were back for about a month; then he pulled them out. He likes it that way and told me that the only problem it has ever caused him is that now he can't eat corn on the cob so his wife cuts the kernals off for him. Yep, his wife.

Blur Ting said...

Oh really? ... his poor wife has to put up with Mr No-front teeth?

Amel said...

OUCH about the decaying front teeth!!! YIKES!

I've never met any of my penpals, though I've had chances to meet some of my emailpals. Gladly our meetings were pretty good and normal he he he...No weird hygiene problems he he he...

Chowmahalla Palace

During our week in Hyderabad, some of the places we visited include the Mecca Mosque, the Charminar (the icon of Hyderabad), Sufi Shrine, Bi...