Friday 26 September 2008

Green bean soup

Want to know what my green bean soup looks like after sitting in the slow cooker for 15 hours?

Funny it looks more brown than green now but it tastes delicious! This is a favourite Asian dessert made using green beans, barley and sugar. After slow cooking for so long, the texture is smooth and soft.

Though it is a simple dessert to make, the results can sometimes be rather disappointing. If you don't control the heat on the stove well enough, the fibrous husk will dislodge from the bean and you end up with a mouthful of husk and naked beans. I've read that some grandmas throw in a few ceramic spoons into the soup during cooking to distribute heat evenly throughout the pot, resulting in soft and mushy beans. I usually boil together with barley over delicate heat so that the soup becomes starchy and gruelly. Last night, I just threw everything in the crockpot and went to bed.

The slow cooker has proven its usefulness once again in the Blur Ting household!

2 comments:

huier said...

try throwing in one or two pandan leaves while cooking, it gives a sweet n refreshing scent to the soup! :)

Blur Ting said...

Yes, I agree! I love the smell of pandan. We have a yard full of pandan at my parent's home. I should plant some here too! Thanks for reminding me.

Chowmahalla Palace

During our week in Hyderabad, some of the places we visited include the Mecca Mosque, the Charminar (the icon of Hyderabad), Sufi Shrine, Bi...