Monday 28 February 2011

Week of treats

Is there no such thing as a free lunch?

Yesterday, Auntie Lucia treated me to lunch at Tanglin Club. Not only that, she gave me a bunch of stuff, including fish oil for my doggie! Thank you!

Last Sunday, we were treated to a sumptuous lunch paid for by my father and uncle. It was a gathering for the entire extended family. When my grandma was still around, it was an annual ritual to get together for her birthday celebration. Last Sunday's lunch was the first gathering for the clan ever since granny's demise in 2005.

A total of 90 people attended the lunch at Boon Lay Raja Restaurant. The place is rather old fashioned but the food is good.

We were tasked to take photos of the family members.

It was an 8-course lunch, eaten over two hours.

Hot and cold combo dish.

The roasted crispy duck was excellent!

Broccoli with fresh scallop.

Pork in a yam ring.

Herbal fish soup.

Fried prawns.

E fu noodles with quail eggs.

For dessert, we had the traditional Teochew dish - orh nee - sweet yam with pumpkin and ginkgo nuts. It was my late granny's favourite.

Speaking of desserts, our friends gave us a treat at Awfully Chocolate (East Coast) on Friday night.

The cakes were so good, I must have put back all the weight I've recently lost!

Cold poached chocolate topped with fresh cream and butterscotch. Highly recommended!

Super stacked chocolate cake with vanilla ice cream.

The pear frangipane tasted surprisingly good.

Peanut butter crumble - I have a weakness for peanut butter!

Amy also treated us to fruits and wine at her house last week. The cloudberry (lakka) liqueur put us all on cloud 9! I need to get my hands on a bottle if I travel to Scandinavian countries.

Amy's house.

Finally, CH is treating his family (us included) to steamboat dinner at Joo Chiat tonight. Another treat. I am one lucky girl!

7 comments:

Fresh Fry aka 福星 said...

Boon Lay Raja restaurant is very under-rated, and of solid, old world food! i've been there 3x in my life so far, i like them better than most restaurants out there.

Amel said...

WOW!!! So many treats! Lucky girl indeed! :-D

Blur Ting said...

Fry - Indeed. The carved fruit presentation is so old world!

Blur Ting said...

Amel - I've been eating non stop. My tummy is visible again!

auntielucia said...

TT, thank you for taking the stuff off me! Thank you also for not being offended when I say "no" to the ensymes. Hope Rusty would survive the fish oil caps!

Blur Ting said...

Auntie Lucia - Rusty is still alive and well! I actually cut the capsules to release the oil onto his food.

Don't apologise about the enzymes. I'm also just trying out. Hope it's more useful than harmful to ny body!

Malar said...

So many treat! You are definately one lucky girl!

Chowmahalla Palace

During our week in Hyderabad, some of the places we visited include the Mecca Mosque, the Charminar (the icon of Hyderabad), Sufi Shrine, Bi...