Thursday 24 March 2011

San luo hor fun

When Steph told me she was making ABC soup in my kitchen last week, I was expecting a pot of alphabet soup. Then I saw the ingredients - potatoes, tomatoes, onions, pineapple and lean pork - and wondered why ABC?

None of my friends knew the answer. Could the soup be rich in vitamins A, B and C? Perhaps it is so simple to put together, it's like as easy as ABC?

I heard it is readily available at our food centres yet how can I not know of its existence? Perhaps I don't eat out often enough.

Just two days ago, while I was out for dinner with my aunt, she was surprised that I had not heard of 'san luo hor fun'. We had it for dinner and I liked it so much, I recreated the dish at home tonight.

I couldn't find any recipes online, so I created my own. It's a very healthy and delicious dish.

Ingredients:
Bean sprouts
Spring onions
Fish slices (I used snakehead, sheng yu)
Fresh prawns
Ginger (few slices)
Shallots (peeled and sliced)
Minced garlic
Flat rice noodles
Chicken stock
Dash of pepper
Light soy sauce
Corn starch
Vegetable oil

Method:
Heat a tablespoon of oil in pan. Fry (half) sliced shallots and garlic until fragrant. Add in noodles and fry for a few minutes. Remove from pan and set aside.

Add another tablespoon of oil in pan. Fry (the rest of) shallots and garlic until fragrant. Add in fish and prawns. Stir fry for a minute, then pour in chicken stock.

When the mixture is boiling, add in spring onions and bean sprouts. Stir in cornstarch to thicken the gravy. Season with pepper and soy sauce. To serve, dish over the pre-cooked noodles.

4 comments:

Petunia Lee said...

You are amazing. I also love this dish but never thought I could recreate it. Now I know how because you went and did it and wrote it out so clearly. Thank you! I will make it next week.

Amel said...

Sounds tasty. :-))) I should try it sometime. :-D

Open Kitchen Concept said...

Oh..my favourite! You are good!

auntielucia said...

Think ABC used to stand for Apple, Beetroot and Carrot, but cld b wrong? Anyway, saw a spread at Fairprice yesterday called ABC nut spread and lo n behold, the ingredients were almonds, brazils n cashew!

Chowmahalla Palace

During our week in Hyderabad, some of the places we visited include the Mecca Mosque, the Charminar (the icon of Hyderabad), Sufi Shrine, Bi...