Sunday 19 January 2014

Spicy sambal cookies

















I've been rather busy lately, so much so that I haven't done anything for the Chinese New Year. It's arriving a little earlier than usual and there is so much to do. It suddenly dawned on me that if I do not bake any cookies this weekend, we'll have no home-made cookies to offer the guests.

So I spent the entire weekend slaving away in the kitchen. The house was filled with the sweet smells of pineapple tarts, almond cookies and choc chip cookies to the point where I could barely breathe. I wanted to get away from the sickening sweet smell, so I made a batch of savory cookies.

The idea came about when I read about Cedele's savory cookies in the papers. I couldn't find a proper recipe, so I improvised with what I could find in my fridge. Luckily, the cookies turned out well. In fact, they were delicious!

Ingredients
60g butter
50g icing sugar
50g vegetable oil
2 big spoonfuls of spicy nasi lemak paste
200g cake flour
Half a cup of dried shrimps (soaked for 10 minutes and drained)
Some curry leaves, cut into small strips.

Method:
1. Cream butter and icing sugar till smooth.
2. Stir in oil, curry leaves and chilli paste.
3. Mix in cake flour until you get a soft dough.
4. Shape the dough into small balls. Place a piece of dried shrimp on the top.
5. Bake in pre-heated oven at 160 degree celcius for about 20 minutes.

3 comments:

Malar said...

Wow! This cookies looks new to me! But it look so tempting too! hahaha...

Wen-ai said...

Wooo, sounds delicious! Thanks for sharing the recipe! I was at Cedele after reading about the cookies in the papers but when I saw the prices of those cookies, I immediately walked out of the shop. SO EXPENSIVE!!! I'll try to make these cookies too. Hmm.... will you be free to experiment on the Gula Melaka cookies too???? ;p

Blur Ting said...

I was googling for gula melaka recipes but can't seem to find a decent one. I have gula melaka at home, so I'm willing to try.

Chowmahalla Palace

During our week in Hyderabad, some of the places we visited include the Mecca Mosque, the Charminar (the icon of Hyderabad), Sufi Shrine, Bi...