Monday 31 October 2011

30-minute meal

I got home a bit late in the evening and had no time to really think about what to cook for dinner. YK arrived home shortly after, announcing that he was starving. I sprung into action immediately, starting with the rice which normally takes about 15 minutes to cook.

Luckily I already had a piece of salmon steak (already seasoned with teriyaki sauce a day ago) thawing in the chiller. While that was being panfried, I worked on 2 salads. The first was easy to put together.

Just cut up some tomatoes, a mango and small onion. Mix together and add sliced chilli, coriander, pinch of salt, black pepper, chopped garlic, fresh lime juice and a splash of olive oil and chuck the whole thing in the fridge.

The glass noodle salad requires a bit more effort. Blanch fresh prawns and cuttlefish in chicken stock, set aside. Then blanch glass noodles and long bean in the stock. Drain and mix together with the seafood. The seasoning is easy to put together. Mix fish sauce, sugar (I used gula melaka) and lime juice and pour over the noodle. Garnish with sliced tomato, onions, chopped chilli and coriander.

I also did a quick stirfry of shredded carrot and cabbage (no photo). Finally, I cooked a long bean omelette while the boys set the table.

It took me under 30 minutes to prepare 5 dishes and everything was wolfed down in less than 15 minutes. According to the boys, quickie meals always turn out better than the ones I spend hours slaving over. Well, some dishes just can't be hurried.

10 comments:

Open Kitchen Concept said...

You are so amazing Ting

Blur Ting said...

Survival mode lah. I must admit that I am better at preparing such meals but fare badly at baking which requires precise measurement and perfect timing.

Amel said...

WOAHHHHH!!!! That's quite a feattttt...5 dishes in 30 minutes? :-D KUDOS to you!

The World According To Me said...

You're good, 5 dishes in 30 mins, that would take me ages!
And they look good!

iml said...

You are the only few mothers I'm aware of that holds a full time job, has no maid and still find time to cook dinner. Amazing.

Wen-ai said...

*respect* 5 dishes under 30 mins?!?! And there I was thinking that I am "super Maria". You are the super one!

Malar said...

5 dishes in 30 minutes and it turn out delicous!! Wow!

I should learn from you!

Blur Ting said...

The tomato/mango salsa isn't quite a dish, just a side dish to go with grilled salmon.

The trick is to have different dishes cooking simultaneously - on the stove and in the oven. That will save you alot of time.

Petunia Lee said...

I have said it before and I say it again. YOU ARE AMAZING!! I won't tell my hubby about you because he already thinks I goof off at home. If he knew about you...

Anonymous said...

Hi the glass noodles look delicious and I am a tung-boon lover. Er, may I know do you use fresh chicken stock or will cubes do? Thanks!

~ a passer-by

Chowmahalla Palace

During our week in Hyderabad, some of the places we visited include the Mecca Mosque, the Charminar (the icon of Hyderabad), Sufi Shrine, Bi...