Sunday 30 January 2011

Baking cookies

Chinese New Year is only 4 days away and I feel so unprepared. I haven't bought any goodies yet. I was holding back the purchase thinking that I could find loads of authentic cookies in Penang.

Alas, I didn't even come across one single bakery. Besides, I was there to attend a meeting, not to shop. So I came back with nothing.

I'm very fussy when it comes to the cookies that I buy. Since I only indulge in such high-calorie treats once a year, I might as well eat the really good ones.

It rained all day today and I was in no mood to go out shopping , so I stayed home and baked cookies instead.

Peanut cookie is one of the easiest to make. The recipe calls for simple ingredients like peanuts, icing sugar, flour and cooking oil. I didn't even have to pull out my weighing scale. Everything was measured in my trusty old measuring cup. I shaped the dough into small flattened balls using my fingers.

The cookies are ready after 15 minutes in the oven.

I made a batch of almond cookies too using the same recipe. Simply replace the ground peanuts with almond. It actually tastes better than the peanut cookie.

This will be all that I'm baking. I'll have to get the rest from the bakery.

7 comments:

Amel said...

They look nice! Would love to try some! :-D

ckl said...

Ah, bring back all the memories when Mum, sisters & I used to make all the goodies weeks before CNY and distribute them to friends & relatives. Now CNY is just another working day here.

auntielucia said...

Blur, what sort of peanuts? Do u break them up or bake them whole? Thanks! I ask such questions because when I first started cooking, I used a recipe which said one cup of rice. Because it didn't say "cooked" rice, and nowhere was there instruction to cook, I naturally used uncooked rice.. the kitchen was a mess..as result! :(

Blur Ting said...

Amel - Cookies made using nuts always taste good.

Blur Ting said...

CKL- I can imagine the happy atmosphere and lovely smell of cookies then!

Blur Ting said...

Auntie Lucia - Oh, first you would have to roast raw groundnuts in a pan and then grind (I use the mortar and pestle) into fine powder. Same thing for the almond.

Malar said...

Teh cookies looks yummy! Do you mind sharing the recipe? ;)

Chowmahalla Palace

During our week in Hyderabad, some of the places we visited include the Mecca Mosque, the Charminar (the icon of Hyderabad), Sufi Shrine, Bi...