Tuesday 12 October 2010

Not so lucky

Last week, the security guard at our condo found a lost Husky wandering around outside the guard house. Since nobody knew its owner, the guard brought it to the nearest police post.

When he saw me that evening, he quickly told me about it.

"Could it be Sasha?" I asked.

"No. I saw Sasha with the owner earlier." he replied.

"Then it must be Lucky!" I exclaimed.

I know almost all the dogs in the neighbourhood. Lucky is a 8-month old Husky that lives in the large mansion down the road. He sits out on the porch all day, looking forlorn and neglected. In fact, he's leashed up all day and I'm really unhappy about it.

Each time we walk by, he sticks his head out to allow us to stroke him. He's a really sweet and gentle dog, even Rusty likes him.

I went over to Lucky's house that evening to find the porch empty. Strangely, this mansion may be large but appears rather cold and sad. I hardly see anyone around. There's always a Porsche parked in the garage at night and the laundry is always hung haphazardly at the clothesline.

I rang the doorbell, an old lady shuffled out slowly. I had only seen her once calling out to Lucky (that's how I know his name). As it turns out, Lucky had ran away.

The old lady must have felt guilty because she started explaining about how she couldn't walk him because of her weak legs, and how they had to leash him up because he scratches the car and destroy things.

"I can't handle a big dog. My son should have bought a smaller dog like yours.", she said, pointing to Rusty.

"But you must understand Lucky is just a puppy! He's energetic and needs someone to play with!", I chided.

I called the police station and was told Lucky had already been sent to SPCA. The owner can pick up the dog during office hours the following day.

I made it very clear to the owner that she should arrange to bring Lucky back quickly or he could end up being euthanised.

Lucky is now back home again, leashed up at the same spot by the fence. When I saw him yesterday, he was subdued and listless. He must have been traumatised by the entire incident. I feel sorry for him. His life is miserable compared to Rusty's.

Shame on the owners. They had the cheek to name him Lucky.

15 comments:

Anonymous said...

Having pets is really a commitment and the owners must feel a sense of responsibility to them. Cats or dogs are living things that move around.

I have heard of many owners that abandon their pets when they outgrow they cute-stage. Tsk Tsk Tsk!

It's an oxymoron that Lucky is unlucky.

[Coincidence, my post today is about my two little cats!]

Wen-ai said...

Ahh... I feel so sorry for Lucky. Sigh.

Fresh Fry aka 福星 said...

haiz......different people, different lives. dogs also.

ckl said...

feel really sorry for Lucky, may be you can advise the old lady that it's better to give hime up for adoption to a better home?

Blur Ting said...

Water - You are right. It is a big commitment.

Blur Ting said...

wen-ai - Yes. Very sad.

Blur Ting said...

fry - So true!

Blur Ting said...

ckl - It's a good idea but I am not sure if he'll be able to find another good home. Not many people are willing to adopt big dogs and Huskies need a nice and cool environment to live in. Dogs that don't get adopted at SPCA will be put to sleep.

Anonymous said...

You have such a kind heart. Maybe you could take Lucky along when you walk Rusty? And when you go for a run? You're a superwoman with a heart of gold doing 10,001 things. Increase to 10,002, eh? ;p

Blur Ting said...

Anonymous - That actually did cross my mind but I get quite stressed out sometimes over walking Rusty, so it may be too much pressure for me to handle another dog. Besides, Rusty is very stubborn and inquisitive, it can be hard to handle 2 dogs at one go. I will be talking to the owner actually, to see if she is willing to let us help her find a better home for the dog.

ckl said...

Yes, I agree that it's not easy to handle more than one dog when out walking. We have two dogs and usually three or all four of us walking the two of them :-)

Blur Ting said...

CKL - The worst that can happen is if I lose the dog while walking him. That happened to CH's tenant who, out of kindness, offered to walk a Goldie next door. One day, it just made off at the park and never returned.

Nick Phillips (15/03/1967 - 04/11/2022) said...

Ugh! I think people who don't know how to take care of dogs shouldn't be allowed to own one!

Malar said...

What a pity dog! I feel those are funny reasons! dogs are playful! If they can't effort to take care nicely then should not get 1!

Amel said...

Ouch...that's so sad. :-((( And yeah, Lucky isn't so lucky, eh? Poor dog...

Chowmahalla Palace

During our week in Hyderabad, some of the places we visited include the Mecca Mosque, the Charminar (the icon of Hyderabad), Sufi Shrine, Bi...