Thursday 5 April 2007

Ugly customer

It’s Easter holiday and I was at McDonalds this morning. It was already packed at 8am as I joined the long line at the only counter that was open. Thankfully it was manned by an efficient lady. We were moving along nicely until it reached the ugly customer just ahead of me….

Ugly customer (UC) : I want six Big Breakfasts. Takeaway. Change the drinks to Milo.
McDonalds staff (MS): Sure. Please give us a while to prepare your order.
UC : I want one cup of ice water.
MS : Sure. (hands her a cup of ice water)
UC : Can you put ice? I want alot.
MS: Here you go.
(MS fills 6 cups of Milo and starts putting them in a big plastic bag.)

UC : I want them in individual plastic bags so that they won’t spill all over my car.
MS : OK (repacks them into individual bags)

By then the line is getting longer and longer. MS scurries around packing hash brown, cutlery and seasoning.

UC : (scans around, oblivious to the people waiting, and points) Can you give me that toy set?
MS : (looks up from packing) Sorry Mdm, I have already keyed in your order. I can’t give it to you unless you buy a Happy Meal.
UC: I’m sure you can. I bought 6 meals you know?
MS : (looks at the growing line of people and whispers) I’ll let you have it but only this time. I can’t do this you know.

Another 2 counters opened up and most people in our line moved over and were served right away. I decided to stick around and wait for my turn. The kitchen staff of mainly retired folks, were moving about quickly like clockwork.

UC : (starts fiddling with her hair and scratching her bum. Yikes, I take one step back.) Is my order coming? It’s taking too long. I don’t want it anymore if it’s not here soon. And will you quickly take that one over there (points to one Big Breakfast set that just arrived from the kitchen) before someone from the next counter buys it?
MS : Mdm, yours is a big order and we are preparing it specially for you. It’s almost ready.
The kitchen staff arrives with her order. MS starts to put them all in a big bag.
UC : I want them in individual plastic bags.
MS complies and heaves a sigh of relief as UC heads for the door.

MS smiles apologetically at me and asks for my order.
Me : Just two Big Breakfasts to go please.
MS : Sure! Is there anything else I can help you with?
Me : No, that'll be all. By the way, you were really patient just now.
MS : (hands me my order) Have a nice day! :-)
You too!

No comments:

Chowmahalla Palace

During our week in Hyderabad, some of the places we visited include the Mecca Mosque, the Charminar (the icon of Hyderabad), Sufi Shrine, Bi...