Tuesday 11 December 2007

My mentor

I had several meetings in the city today and for some reason, the roads were strangely quiet. I was driving around in the rain wondering if it’s a holiday. Even the restaurants and malls were unusually peaceful. I think everyone's away on vacation.

I usually think alot when I’m on the road. Sometimes I think about what to blog and today I thought of an old friend.

I used to have a mentor. She’s the most inspiring and passionate woman I have ever met. Her name is Ming.

A psychologist by training, she was reeled in to helm the family business one (not so fine) day. When her father died, he left behind a thriving business which was subsequently managed by her only brother. Unfortunately he died in a boating accident one day and she was summoned back from the good life in New York to run the business here.

She had completely no business experience but her strongest suit is her energy and never-say-die attitude. She’s not your conventional businesswoman and definitely not a conformist! She thinks out of the box and is always bursting with new ideas. She comes to life when we brainstorm about the latest creative ideas, her sparkling and expressive eyes so mesmerizing, I would listen to her with rapt admiration.

Ming’s a beautiful lady with a quirky taste. She eschews corporate suits for gothic styles and unique Issey Miyake outfits. She zips around in a Mini Pajero when she can easily afford a Bentley and has no airs about her even though she’s very wealthy and lives in a posh penthouse in the city.

I guess at that time, she represented everything I was not. While I was timid, she’s a gutsy lady who traveled the world. Once she flew all the way to Siberia and traveled by rail to the remote outskirts to collect a huge sum of money from a debtor.

She’s one of the few respectable high achievers who keeps a very low profile and completely shuns the limelight. I know her as a tireless fighter for the underdog and a philanthropist who quietly lends her support without any fanfare.

When her kids were little, she took them on her weekly visits to the homes for the underprivileged and taught them independence and discipline.

I drove past her recently. She was hurrying down the street wearing a beautiful ensemble by her favourite designer. When I called out to her, she turned around and flashed me her most beatific smile. Oh, so flamboyant and always leaves a lasting impression. Ah, she’s still my mentor!

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

and she obviously never forgets her friends either!

SOUL said...

nice.
and funny how when someone finds a place into your heart--- even tho time and distance may change things... their place their still manages to remain. ? or is that just me?
have a nice night. :))

Amel said...

Now that's really inspiring!!! Teaching her kids independence and discipline!!! WOW!!! I salute her too!

I LOVE rich people who are low-profile. I know someone like that in Bandung, too. She's very well-liked by everybody he he...

However, I'm no good at thinking outside the box, I'm afraid he he he...

WaterLearner said...

Blur,

From the way you described her in such details, I can see you are one who definitely takes relationships very seriously. I have a few mentors over different phases of my life too. Such people play critical roles in one's life.

Blessings!

The Real Mother Hen said...

She is very BEAUTIFUL :)

Blur Ting said...

So you remember her, MH. Yah, she's beautiful!

Chowmahalla Palace

During our week in Hyderabad, some of the places we visited include the Mecca Mosque, the Charminar (the icon of Hyderabad), Sufi Shrine, Bi...