Saturday 8 December 2007

Running club


My running pals - from left - Jess, Eileen, my aunt Rosemary, Bai Yun.

We all signed up as members today.
.
My aunt, who's a member of the Safra Running Club, brought me to their regular weekend run today and I ended up signing as a member.
.
She recently completed her first marathon after a rigorous training regime with the running club which conducts regular practice runs led by experienced runners and pacers.
.
We joined a large group of runners on an easy 10km run this morning. These are all seasoned runners with several marathons under their belt, so 10km is cake walk to them! Naturally I was trailing behind, watching sinewy legs and tight bums moving effortlessly ahead of me. I want to be like them too!
.
To train for the marathon, they clocked about 50km a week which is quite hard to achieve on my own. It takes a lot of discipline to get that butt off the chair and do a long run all by yourself. With a running group, there'll never be a dull moment. Besides practice runs, they conduct social gatherings and stamina training by expert runners too.
.
Looks like I'll never run alone again. Wanna join me?

6 comments:

Amel said...

Hey, that's GREAT to hear. Yeah, running alone can be dull esp. if you run a LONG distance he he he...However, I think I'll stick to my Billy Blanks (Taebo) CDs ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha...

SOUL said...

i actually used to run... a little.. for a while.. i ran alone, but i liked it like that.
had to stop for physical reasons... but it does give you a good feeling huh?
glad you have a nice group that you enjoy!

and sure-- c'mon out, we have a room for ya! :))

WaterLearner said...

Which SAFRA? Might be quite out of the place for me. But I agree with the benefits and motivation derived from running in a group.

Blur Ting said...

Hi Water, I signed up with Yishun running club but as a member, you can run with the other clubs in Mt Faber, Tampines or Toa Payoh. To be honest, all these locations are not really near my house too. I think it's the same for you. But I figured if I can join them for proper training or longer runs if I want to. It was a membership drive as the club was just formed yesterday. They stop taking in members once the quota is met.

Unknown said...

it's always so much fun to do things as a group. i wouldn't know what to do without my mommy group.
i have a friend who is an almost-retired triathlete but still trains at 4am every morning just to be in the company of his group.

Anonymous said...

Good start, all the best !

Chowmahalla Palace

During our week in Hyderabad, some of the places we visited include the Mecca Mosque, the Charminar (the icon of Hyderabad), Sufi Shrine, Bi...