Wednesday 14 February 2007

A low-key V-Day

V-Day has come and gone. Did you do anything special?

I know Viv baked brownies for hubby. How nice! She sent me the recipe but I guess I wasn’t as motivated as her…

It’s funny… even though we didn’t want to be sucked into this V-Day hoopla, it wouldn't feel right if we didn't do anything together. Hmm, if CH hadn’t asked me out for dinner, I would probably feel so neglected and unloved!

So, we agreed to celebrate in the most low-key, laid-back manner. Go somewhere casual, away from the crowd. Our thoughts veered towards Changi Beach. It has become our favourite haunt lately. He suggested Charlie's Corner of Changi Village. Good idea!

When we arrived at 7.30pm, most of the tables were already taken. Apparently many people had the same idea too.


I wanted beer to soothe my sore throat. The beer menu was too extensive, I decided to take the easy way out. I ordered Bunderberg ginger beer. He had Kilkenny which I promptly took a sip when it arrived. I drank only the foam! =_=

Dinner for me was Charlie’s special grilled fish. CH had the sausage platter. Though I’m not a big fan of sausages, I found the sausages very tender and succulent. Yummy!

By the time we were done with dinner, there was a line of people waiting to be seated.

There’s nothing romantic about the place or the ambience. Most of the folks around us looked like couples who have been together for a long time. Like us, they prefer a casual dinner in a familiar place, without the pomp of expensive restaurants. Most importantly, they looked relaxed and happy.

What good is a dinner if you’re sitting in a fancy restaurant, feeling uneasy all evening? Does that make you feel more loved or appreciated?

For us, dinner at Charlie’s, a slow walk along Changi Beach and sharing a tub of ice cream in the park was definitely a wonderful way to spend V-Day.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

The place was Charlie's Corner of Changi Village...
:-)

Blur Ting said...

Oh, but of course! silly me. :-I

Chowmahalla Palace

During our week in Hyderabad, some of the places we visited include the Mecca Mosque, the Charminar (the icon of Hyderabad), Sufi Shrine, Bi...