Wednesday 18 November 2009

Which comes first?

I was chatting with the Chinese physician while mum was undergoing accupuncture treatment yesterday. The doctor said I seem to have a million things going on in my head. To put it simply, I looked harrassed. She cautioned me to slow down before I burn myself out.

"When you're so engrossed with getting things done, you forget that you're actually leading a stressful life."

In some ways, I agree with her. My day is packed with activities from the minute I wake up until I fall asleep again at night. If one thing goes wrong, it dominoes into the next and could potentially upset the rest of the day.

Given my personality, I want to get things done efficiently and quickly. I hate frittering my time away on frivolous things. When I return home to an untidy apartment, my stress level goes a notch higher. If I see unwashed dishes in the sink, I will wash them first before even putting my handbag away. If I have a dinner appointment, I will return home early to make dinner for the kids, and walk the dog first before I leave.

On the surface, I look calm and collected but I get anxious when things don't go according to plan. Getting caught in traffic is highly frustrating because I hate being late for my appointments. Sometimes I think I'm too hard on myself but that's just my nature.

Mum, who overheard everything the doctor said, started getting all anxious and worried. Guess who I inherited the genes from? For a start, she thinks I should get a live in maid to take over the housework.

"Let me make more money first.", I replied.

"Don't overwork yourself. Get a maid and then think of how to earn more money.", she advised.

Mum is wise and she's mostly right. I should spend precious time with the family and building the business instead of sweating the small stuff. I shouldn't neglect my own well-being. Without good health and mental clarity, how can I be a good mother and business owner?

5 comments:

Fresh Fry aka 福星 said...

Auntie Ting is astute. =)

Nick Phillips (15/03/1967 - 04/11/2022) said...

I think your mom is wise in what she said. But I'm the same, I don't really look too much into my own well being which is beginning to show in my action these days ...

Petunia Lee said...

Yup... getting a helper will give you more time to make money.

The Real Mother Hen said...

If space is a concern, get a part time helper?

Anonymous said...

You're a great mom and businesswoman now, but at a cost to yourself.

Chowmahalla Palace

During our week in Hyderabad, some of the places we visited include the Mecca Mosque, the Charminar (the icon of Hyderabad), Sufi Shrine, Bi...