Monday 22 February 2010

Proud of my parents

When I went to the car repairshop this afternoon, my poor RAV 4 was suspended high up there with the 4 wheels removed and gearbox gutted out. What a sorry sight it was!

The mechanic wanted to show me the damaged gear before they put the new parts in. Some parts are still being flown in from Japan, so the car won't be ready until end of the week. I've never worked with them before but they look like a bunch of good people.

I was eager to know the hows and the whys. My car is not that old afterall. The soft-spoken boss explained in a manner even a child could understand. "It is normal for cars to breakdown every now and then. Even people fall sick and die. Look at all these cars, yours is not the only one," he said, pointing out the Merc, BMW, VW and Mini Cooper glistening under the sun.

"And this big gearbox here belongs to a Jaguar."

It's comforting to know that even fancy cars end up here, likely with a larger repair bill than mine. I also know that I'm in good hands because these guys know my dad. They have been specially kind and civil towards me. Maybe it is because my dad has a good reputation. He has good ethics and is a well respected man. It makes me proud to be his daughter. I hope my kids are proud of me too.

You know how parents are always so proud of their children, but you don't hear people gushing about their parents. More often than not, they complain about their annoying habits or how difficult their folks are.

Over the years, I have learned to be more appreciative of my parents. These days I find myself reminiscing the old days and trying to recall the dishes we grew up eating. You see, my parents used to be alot more adventurous in the kitchen. Mum used to cook braised pork knuckles, ngoh hiang and other yummy things when she was younger. Now she only eats to live.

I craved for her delicious szechuan vegetable soup yesterday, so I cooked it for dinner. It was a first for the kids. They thought it was nice but too salty. CH just gulped everything down. I had forgotten to soak the szechuan vegetable in water before cooking but what do I know, it was my first attempt. I should have asked my mum!

10 comments:

Amel said...

I think I started appreciating my parents more after I moved far away from them. I'm sure your kids are proud of you, Ting. :-)))

auntielucia said...

Blur: one quick way to help szechuan veggie de-salt quickly is to soak in water with a bit of sugar.. swear it works! Is yr workshop manager by the name of Mr Beh? Even if it isn't, good to know that there's more than one soft spoken workshop exec out there! ;)

Blur Ting said...

Amel - Yes, distance does make the heart grow fonder. Also, age...

Blur Ting said...

Auntie Lucia - Thanks for the tip. I quickly threw in a potato to soak up some of the salt in the soup. Not sure if it helped but now I know I should soak the szechuan veggie first.

The workshop guy is Ah Beng! Ellipse Auto Transmission at Sin Ming.

Petunia Lee said...

You had an enviable childhood Ting. It's something to be thankful for, I think.

Blur Ting said...

Petunia - My parents are simple folks who gave us a good childhood. I appreciate that very much.

Open Kitchen Concept said...

I like this post.. :)

And Szechuan vegetable soup! Oh.. teach me teach me!

The Real Mother Hen said...

Hey szechuan veggie soup, I like, I like, but finally I didn't drool after reading your food post :) well, I made myself a nice pot of porridge this morning so I'm stuffed, can't complain too much when I'm full.

Blur Ting said...

OKC - It's quite easy really. Boil pork ribs, chunks of carrot, clove of garlic, knob of ginger, some peppercorn and sliced szechuan chye (buy a palm sized one, wash and soak in water for about 30 minutes and slice into smaller parts) in a pot of water for about 1.5hrs.

Do not add salt until after you have tasted the soup. Chances are, you don't need to add any flavourings as the szechuan vege is salty.

Blur Ting said...

MH - Porridge on a cold day must be so nice :-)

Chowmahalla Palace

During our week in Hyderabad, some of the places we visited include the Mecca Mosque, the Charminar (the icon of Hyderabad), Sufi Shrine, Bi...