Saturday 19 April 2008

Active Sunday

After my 2.5-hour walk-run-climb routine at Bukit Timah this morning, I am satisfied that I have finally burnt every drop of alcohol I had imbibed and morsel of food indulged over the last 2 days.

I've come to realise that climbing hills is a lot tougher than running in the park. I'm impatient and like to scramble up the hill quickly, stressing my heart in the process. By the time I reach the summit, I would be huffing and puffing like the big bad wolf.

Enroute to the top, I came across this fit looking mom with her reluctant little girl in tow. "Come on. We're almost at the summit", she said.

I overtook them and made my way up quickly. On my way down, I come across them again. This time, her daughter was standing in the middle of the trail, howling her heart out. But mommy wasn't moved. "Stop crying. Start climbing!" The little girl refused to budge. She was still there crying some 15 minutes later, when I went by them again for the second time.

Her mom must be trying to toughen her up, hoping that her daughter would grow up looking like her. Even for a seasoned climber, I find the ascend in the humid forest rather strenuous. It must be punishing for a 3 year old girl. Oh well, it's none of my business.

On hindsight, it's not right to allow a little girl to pollute a tranquil rainforest with her incessant crying.

6 comments:

Sister Sassy said...

I feel sorry for the little girl. I think if it were me I put her on my back and try to go on up... but I'd probably die that way too since I'm sadly out of shape.

Sister Sassy said...

I mean, if I were the mom, not you.

Wouldn't that be weird to just pick up a strange child and put her on your back to take her to the summit. I wonder what her mom would have said if you'd offered her a piggy back ride. lol!

Blur Ting said...

Hi Sister sassy, I wanted to tell the mom, "Give the kid a break!" but she looked so serious. So I scooted off.

But really, I'm sure her mom wouldn't be too pleased if you set off with her daughter on your back. It's a good thought though!

Nick Phillips (15/03/1967 - 04/11/2022) said...

What the heck kind of mom was she? Why even force a 3 year old girl to do that? Gee, you know what BT? That is probably going to make her hate doing something like this later in life ... but like you said, none of my business.

And speaking of active Sundays I've been slacking off from running for a tad bit too long! Your post has just inspired me to put on my shoes this evening and hit the roads. Thanks BT :D

Blur Ting said...

Nick - Quite right. She may grow up hating this, like the way many kids hate spending hours practising on the piano. Then again, who knows? She may thank her mother for the tough training when she's all grown up?

I'm glad to have inspired you. I haven't been running very much lately. That's why I'm working extra hard on Sundays.

Unknown said...

you are right on both counts :)

Chowmahalla Palace

During our week in Hyderabad, some of the places we visited include the Mecca Mosque, the Charminar (the icon of Hyderabad), Sufi Shrine, Bi...