Monday 2 November 2009

The right move

Today I received the first order from a preschool for an educational kit that I developed for young children. It's a small order but I'm glad to receive some affirmation for this product. You see, this idea was brewing in my head for sometime but I thought it was too ridiculous to implement.

There are kids and even adults out there who do not know exactly where their organs are. Perhaps I should print organs on plain t-shirts so that kids can wear them? I mulled on the idea for sometime and got increasingly discouraged when I see the competition out there.

One day I asked YK, "Would you wear a t-shirt with lungs or kidney printed on it?"

"Of course! In fact, I would wear a different one every day of the week. Can you print for me immediately?"

I went back to the drawing board, feeling excited all over again. Since YK is going to be my walking advertisement, I got my designer friend to design a set of organs for me. She's an award-winning designer, so I couldn't wait to see the visuals.

True enough, the organs were adorable! With the set of beautiful organs in hand, the idea evolved into something even more interesting. Instead of printing on t-shirts, I decided to make them into stickers so kids can peel and paste on their t-shirts. Kids learn best when they're having fun.

When I heard my 2-year old niece exclaim excitedly,"Look, I'm wearing lungs!", I knew half the battle is won.

I got a bunch of kids to don t-shirts with organs. The parents loved the fact that the kids are having a great time and learning about the organs in their body.

We designed an activity card with bits of information about the organs. There's a diagram for the kids to paste organ stickers on. I chose a thicker card and laminated it on both sides for durability. I want a product that even very young kids can enjoy.

Even as I write, I've schools calling to enquire about this organ kit. They think it'll make a great learning kit for their little children. I'm glad I made the right move.

11 comments:

Fresh Fry aka 福星 said...

hail, Blur Ting! u're helping to groom more doctors for Ah Sing and possibly the world!!

*applause* *applause*

Petunia Lee said...

I want them organs too! For me... adult!

The Real Mother Hen said...

Truly, you've done a great job :)

Anonymous said...

hi,

i love the organ tees! possible to buy just 2 for my gals? you may email me at hba6721@yahoo.com. thanks! btw, love reading your blog. its my daily routine. :)

WaterLearner said...

Hallo Ting,

Well Done! Can I join your company? :-)

Blur Ting said...

Fry - Kum siah! :-)

Blur Ting said...

Petunia - You're my first customer!!

Blur Ting said...

MH - Thank you and don't forget you have contributed too!

Blur Ting said...

Anonymous - Oh, thank you!! I have sent you an email!

Blur Ting said...

Karen - Sure! :-)
But I cannot afford to pay you :-)
You'll have to eat oats with me everyday until the company is profitable.

k@Ye_ said...

Ting, i also want!! 3 sets for my gal & her cousins!!! :)

Can email me at kayemoss@rocketmail.com on order details!

Chowmahalla Palace

During our week in Hyderabad, some of the places we visited include the Mecca Mosque, the Charminar (the icon of Hyderabad), Sufi Shrine, Bi...