Sunday 4 January 2009

When life gives you lemons...

For the last few months, the newspapers have been spreading nothing but gloom. Then the journalists started dishing out advice on how to survive the downturn.

Today, I see a nice change. While life has dealt the world with a whole orchard of lemons lately, the good people at TODAY (a daily tabloid) have decided to seek out and highlight the good in the news, just for today.

I read stories about how a teen's dying wish to donate her organs saved 5 lives, and how some Singaporeans stuck with debts and problems got past the despair and found something to do with their predicament. The tabloid talked about shiny happy movies like Monsters Inc and printed advertisements showing lots of smiling faces. Even in the news story about Indonesia's 7.6 magnitude quake, the focus was more on the ones who made it out alive.

The editor wants to remind us that, even in the worst of times, it is still possible to smile. I don't know about the other readers, but it makes me feel good on a Monday. The media is a powerful tool indeed.

Subconsciously, I also started to count my blessings. I am thankful that mum's MRI scan showed that her tumour cells are dying. According to the neurosurgeon, the treatment has been successful. Isn't that great news?

Like everyone, I'm trying to cope with the bad economy and have started cutting cost to ride through the bad times. I've replaced light bulbs with energy efficient ones. The rooms are much cooler and the light is easier on our eyes. Why didn't I think of that earlier?

When I'm at the supermarket, I watch my spending and make more healthy and wise choices. I've stopped buying unnecessary things to cut down on wastage. It's a good habit that I've picked up recently.

I'm also planning to bake my own cookies for Chinese New Year. It's definitely more cost effective and healthy. The boys often reminisce about their younger days when we baked our own new year goodies. They're excited I'm reviving this tradition again.

On the workfront, I'm thankful we still have loyal customers who stick with us even though the orders have reduced. Everything is humming along slowly but steadily. With proper planning and control, we'll be fine.

Afterall, life is all about balance. For now, when you get too much lemons, don't just make lemonade. Make lemon custard tarts, pies and cakes too!

10 comments:

huier said...

Definitely great news of your mom! Let us all continue keeping our faith strong and cherish our love ones as we stand united weathering all rains and storms...all my best, Ting!

The World According To Me said...

I'm so pleased to hear about your mums progress, that is great news!

What a brilliant idea with the newspaper! I've always thought the news should be good news as well as bad news!
Life and news is not all doom and gloom. It's depressing just hearing about the bad stuff, and I think the media should play their part in creating a happier nation!

Anonymous said...

Yep good news on your mum...and yes...nowadays...there's nothing better to do than to be positive!

Amel said...

Indeed life is about balance. A while ago I was SO stressed out about finding balance in every aspect of life...but I realize that there's no "grand scheme" in reaching balance in life. You just have to take it one step at a time, one good choice at a time, one day at a time. :-)))) And it'll build up eventually.

I'm HAPPY also to hear about your Mom's progress!!! ;-D

The Real Mother Hen said...

can i request for lemon meringue pie? ummmmmm i'm hungry!

Blur Ting said...

Huier - Thanks! It is good news for my mum indeed. I hope her general well being improves quickly too.

Blur Ting said...

World - I think the newspapers are also tried of taking about the same old thing day in day out, so they went for a change.

Blur Ting said...

JY - You're always positive and cheerful, that I know!

Blur Ting said...

Amel - You're right. The simplest people are probably the happiest and most balanced doing simple things.

Blur Ting said...

MH - You over estimated my talent! I can only bake muffins, they must be the easiest thing to make.

Chowmahalla Palace

During our week in Hyderabad, some of the places we visited include the Mecca Mosque, the Charminar (the icon of Hyderabad), Sufi Shrine, Bi...