Friday 30 March 2007

Old vs New

YK is impressed that his friends can compose messages on the hand phone without looking at the keypad. Hey, did you know that your grandma can type quickly and accurately without looking at the keyboard?

In the past, it was mandatory to have a certificate in typing before you could secure an administrative job. Computers today are a lot more forgiving than the typewriters of old. I remember I used to type invoices on the typewriter and how much paper and correction tapes I had wasted.

In the 1980s, when I was in graphic design, we outsourced typing to the typesetters. The bromides that came back would be cut, arranged and pasted to create artworks. Product advertisements with tiny fonts and lots of pictures were the worst. One typo error and we had to go through the whole process again. We were always rushing and working overtime to meet deadlines.

If you think about it, life is much simpler now with desktop publishing. Today, there’s spell check function to correct typos. If you make a mistake, simply erase and retype again. Typesetting is a thing of the past.

Recently, I bumped into my friend Kenny who’s now a cab driver. He used to be our typesetter. "No need for typesetters now." he said.

3 comments:

The Real Mother Hen said...

Yeah whenever I think of the old days, I wonder how things got done, but things actually got DONE and people actually LIVED! :) Now we live to get things done yet there are always more to be done :)

Blur Ting said...

Now with mobile phones, blackberry and emails, people expect instant replies and it's almost a crime if we do not pick up phone calls on the mobile phone.

The Real Mother Hen said...

Hey I feel the same way too leh... every time when there is a phone call coming in through the cell phone, I act as if it is a MUST to answer, else feel guilty! Alamak, what have I turned into leh?

Chowmahalla Palace

During our week in Hyderabad, some of the places we visited include the Mecca Mosque, the Charminar (the icon of Hyderabad), Sufi Shrine, Bi...