Wednesday 12 June 2013

Woes of a washer woman

The most important appliance in my house broke down last week after suffering years of abuse. I've shoved in mud-caked clothes and army packs, wooly blankets, comforters, curtains, stuffed toys and cushion covers. I've poured in vinegar, dish washing liquid, bleach and baking soda. I like to crank up the temperature to the boiling point to kill germs. I've made it run 5 loads of laundry a day. Oh, I can be such a slave driver!

The repairmen came and gave me a lecture before hauling it away. One look and he knew I've been up to no good. Only a pro like him can tell from the soapy residue on the floor. He asked to see the washing detergent and said, "There is something else you use..."

He was right. My secret weapon is dish washing liquid. I use it when I wash greasy floor mats, dish cloth and apron.  "You shouldn't put dishwashing liquid in here. The foam will overflow and spoil your machine."

Now that the washer is gone, my life has been miserable. I dread getting out of bed every morning because the first thing I see is the big pile of clothes in the bathroom. It gets worse when YK brings home his bag of stinky and muddy army uniform.

I have no time to exercise because doing laundry takes up too much time. All the scrubbing, rinsing and wringing can be more tiring than a 5-km run. Hand washing is harder than you think. The clothes will smell if not washed thoroughly.

I've sent out a warning to the boys to stop wearing heavy jeans and sweaters because these are the hardest to hand wash. SK has offered to take over the washing because he knows it works wonders for the abs and arms.

Before he can even get started, the repair shop has called to say they're sending the washer over today. Thank goodness! I promise to treat it well.

5 comments:

Amel said...

Oh my goodness...I remembered the time when I used to help my Mom with the laundry. Mom only had money to buy a washing machine when I was in...hmmm...was it Junior High School? Washing jeans and heavy stuff like bed sheets and blankets by hand was really a chore, esp. in a damp country like Indo. And after washing you still had to wring them out with all your might he he he...

Here in a dry country like Finland it's fine to hang clothes inside the house - it'll be dry in a day or two, but in Indo if there's no sun, hanging clothes inside the house will just make them smell bad.

Blur Ting said...

Yes, since I am at work all day, I hang the clothes indoors and stick a fan in front to expedite the drying.

Petunia Lee said...

Oh gosh! A spoilt washer is every Mom's nightmare!!

Celine said...

I read this and I laughed, then went to check on my own washing machine (I dunno what I am looking for, probably just to reassure myself it is still functioning haha). This workhouse is still washing after 10+ years... it had a good life before my marriage and before the boys were born. Went from one weekly load to 2 loads a weekly to a daily load now.... sometimes 3 loads a day on weekends with bedsheets!

Blur Ting said...

Celine - I know you are just worried that it might breakdown and give you a nightmare!

Actually those Japanese ones are really good. My parents' washer lasted almost 20 years.

My current one is a front load type because of space constraints. I have just enough of a hole in the wall to stack washer and dryer.

Chowmahalla Palace

During our week in Hyderabad, some of the places we visited include the Mecca Mosque, the Charminar (the icon of Hyderabad), Sufi Shrine, Bi...