Wednesday 6 January 2010

Cravings

While chomping on a piping hot curry puff, I realised that I've forgotten to blog today. That shows how committed I am to my blog...

See, I had a sudden craving for curry puff, so I drove all the way to an outlet to get my fix. In my books, only Old Chang Kee's curry puff is worth the calories. For a start, the filling is the most generous I can find but more importantly, it is really delicious with chunks of chicken amidst moist curry potatoes. It never fails me everytime.

Yesterday I craved for duck after seeing the sesame duck stew recipe. I made a detour to the supermarket to grab some ingredients before hurrying home to cook. I like my duck meat really soft and tender, so while the recipe calls for 1.5 hours of cooking, I simmered mine for more than 2 hours. It was worth the effort of course. Everyone loved it so much, I'm thinking of doing this dish for our Chinese New Year reunion dinner.

I'm quite proud of the fact that I followed the recipe faithfully this time. I'm big on improvising so the end results can be quite 'off' sometimes. But yesterday I measured the portions carefully and even drove to the store again when I realised I had gotten the wrong ginger (old ginger instead of blue ginger) earlier. I know from experience that blue ginger is a MUST when it comes to stewing duck, Teochew style. I wanted my duck to be perfect.

Do I sound like a glutton already? Anyway, the sauce was so delicious, it would be a waste to throw it away. So I'll be adding taukua (firm tofu) and taukee (dried bean strips) to the stew to give it another new dimension.

I get so excited when I start talking about food. I can't believe that I've been procrastinating my runs and workouts but I'm willing to go that extra mile where food is concerned. Maybe I should just drink more green tea. I heard it promotes slimming. It's just what I need!

4 comments:

Amel said...

Oh no...you've made me drool so much now. I LOVEEEEEEEEEEEE duck...I'm going to keep my eye on frozen ducks here in the local supermarket 'coz there's no available place to find any here in this small village he he...

Blur Ting said...

Amel - I think this recipe works for frozen duck too. If you have a chance, try it.

auntielucia said...

I was just thinking how much we think alike. Then I read this post: the two food items tt make you drool are the last I wld eat, unless there's a famine of cos!

Nick Phillips (15/03/1967 - 04/11/2022) said...

I have to agree, nothing beats old chang kee curry puffs :D

Chowmahalla Palace

During our week in Hyderabad, some of the places we visited include the Mecca Mosque, the Charminar (the icon of Hyderabad), Sufi Shrine, Bi...