Tuesday 19 January 2010

So sore

Thanks to CH's recommendation, I am aching all over today. Tired of hearing me complain about the spare tyre hanging around my waist, he showed me a few moves that'll help whip me back into shape.

"15 minutes is all you need! And you can do it in the comfort of your home."

Weight training, not cardiovascular training, is what shapes and sculpts your muscles. If you increase your lean body mass, you increase your metabolic rate. And the faster your metabolism is, the more fat you'll burn all day long - even while you're sleeping!

Ok, ok. I'm convinced. He makes resistance training sound so much easier than jogging round the neighbourhood, plus he has the muscles to show for it, so I have no reason to doubt him.

The training began at 5pm yesterday. I figured by the time I finish 4 sets and 10 reps (yah, exercise jargon), I should be ready to make dinner. What good timing.

So, with Men's Health magazine spread out before me and a 4kg dumbbell in my hands, I was eager to begin. The instructions are clear but soon my thighs were burning from the squats. I had to lift the dumbbell and twist my body this way and that, I was huffing and puffing like crazy. Not only that, my exercise shorts were not stretchy enough, it kept hindering my movements.

In less than five minutes, my muscles were screaming for help. I laid on my bed and promptly fell asleep to wake up 15 minutes later feeling sore all over. I put everything away and waddled to the kitchen.

Of course, CH was eager to know how my first session went. Well, I confessed that it was very tough for me and that I fell asleep.

"Tough? And you were using 3kg dumbbell?"

Mind you, my dumbbell is 4kg! Then again, it is nothing compared to what he uses (30kg). I would probably collapse under that weight anyway and that would be the last you see of me.

I must not give up so easily just because my muscles are a little sore. DOMS (Delayed onset muscle soreness) occurs 12-48 hours after exercise, particularly at the beginning of a new exercise program or after a dramatic increase in the duration or intensity of exercise.

This muscle pain is a normal response to unusual exertion and is part of an adaptation process that leads to greater stamina and strength as the muscles recover and build hypertrophy.

Yah, yah... spare me the jargon, I just want to lose my spare tyre! And don't tell me to go for lipo!

6 comments:

k@Ye_ said...

Psst, try those pilates exercise... will help to lose the spare tyre n not so painful!!!

n can use resistance bands... no need to use dumbbells!

Burcu said...

We started gym with my husband Joerg as well. He's used to more than 30 kg but it's a pain in the ass for me because after 10 times i can feel the burning of my muscles. But i have to admit that i am a bit masochist :)I mean, when i feel that my muscles are alarming i want to do more and more because then i think 'yahooooo all my fats are leaving me, i am getting rid off them.':)
I am trying to challenge with myself. The More i suffer more i become slim.

You know Blur, nothing is gained without any pain.
I am sure you gonna get it! Try to keep yourself busy with watching something while you're exercising. Then you even don't believe how you manage it!

Kisses

Amel said...

GOOC LUCCCKKK!!! I don't like using weights 'coz I tend to look bulky easily when I use weights (esp. 'coz I'm short). It works better if I do normal cardio workout that makes me sweaty.

The Real Mother Hen said...

4KG? That's heavy! :)
Ok, your very weak friend here is now trying to exercise regularly, but I can't lift 4KG yet. I'm on 5lb, which is what, baby 2.3kg!

The World According To Me said...

They do say, no pain, no gain! But why does it have to hurt so much?!

auntielucia said...

Blur! Mayb shld have started with 5 min exercise? And lighter weights? Then build up, week by week?

Chowmahalla Palace

During our week in Hyderabad, some of the places we visited include the Mecca Mosque, the Charminar (the icon of Hyderabad), Sufi Shrine, Bi...