Tuesday 26 January 2010

Rush

Yes, I've been busy. I'm so pleased that I managed to rush out an order for the gardening business in double-quick time. Best friend is away for two weeks and this large order arrived without any warning.

I rolled up my sleeves and was prepared to camp out at the packing station for several days. Thankfully, we have a good system in place, I managed to complete the job in less than a day. It has been years since I've worked under such pressure.

When I was in the design consultancy, we were rushing against time everyday. Every project had a deadline and my life revolved around a 'to-do list'. It was mentally-stimulating and exciting, there was no time to sit and stare. Clients expected me to conjure ideas instantly even though I wasn't trained in design. Some of our designers became temperamental under pressure, so flare-ups were common too. Needless to say, life was stressful then.

I only began to discover life outside of work after I left the creative circle. Slowly, the to-do list disappeared and I was no longer at the client's beck and call. I wasn't chained to my desk, I could travel at a moment's notice and still conduct my business from anywhere in the world. It was liberating.

If there is one thing I miss, then it must be the adrenalin rush. Without the brainstorming sessions and creative ideas coursing through my veins, I can feel my brain cells dying very quickly.

Yet, I must admit that over time, I have grown too accustomed to this relaxed lifestyle, I doubt I can ever survive in the corporate jungle again.

4 comments:

The Real Mother Hen said...

well, if you spend some time here in rural Oregon, you will be very slooooow, like I am now. I can't even do text message and multitask like I used to when living in Singapore.

Amel said...

Ahhhh...I don't think I can work well under pressure...

rokujen` said...

so true...
i dont think i can work well under pressure too.
dont worry abt the braincells tho, Blurting.. you hav so much fulfilment from other things in life. :)

Nick Phillips (15/03/1967 - 04/11/2022) said...

I know how that feels to have no time for yourself ...

Chowmahalla Palace

During our week in Hyderabad, some of the places we visited include the Mecca Mosque, the Charminar (the icon of Hyderabad), Sufi Shrine, Bi...