Sunday 3 January 2010

New start

I always start out the new year in a bit of a daze. After a two-month school break, it's back to the daily grind. The alarm goes off at 5.25am. I get up, do laundry, shower, feed Rusty, walk Rusty, make breakfast, wake kids, send them to school and go to work.

Oh, I'm starting the year with a new laptop. After 6 years with the old lappy, I've finally upgraded. Not that anything is wrong with the old one, it's just a little slow unlike YK's year-old laptop which crashed last week. I wonder what kids put their computers through these days. On hindsight, I made the right move by signing up for an extended warranty.

Anyway, now that we're back to the old routine, I tend to spend more time with the kids. We go for breakfast at the coffeeshop if their classes start late. And they're home for dinner every night. I was experiencing the empty-nest syndrome during the school holidays. They were never around, I only had Rusty for company on most nights.

It's also great that CH has moved very close to our apartment. Now he walks over to join us for dinner and we take Rusty out for an after-dinner stroll.

While I'm not planning to make any resolutions this year, I must remind myself to cherish time with family and loved ones. My friends and I were shocked to see an old schoolmate in the obituaries. He was an intelligent and popular guy. When he died, he was the CEO of a large corporation.

So, for the last 2 days, we had been reminiscing about our past. It's sad to know that some people we knew in school had died or are ill with cancer in the prime of their lives. It's indeed a sobering reminder for us to live and let live.

4 comments:

Nick Phillips (15/03/1967 - 04/11/2022) said...

My routine is back to normal with the boys going back to school. I'm still not used to waking up so early to send them both to school yet ...

Fresh Fry aka 福星 said...

*HUGZ*

having good friends is very important, i agree. heres to a better year ahead! HUAT AH!!

kekeke.....

huier said...

True, we ought to remind ourselves every so often, to live and let live, while we still can.

Amel said...

LOVE the reminder to cherish the time we have (left) on earth. :-D

Chowmahalla Palace

During our week in Hyderabad, some of the places we visited include the Mecca Mosque, the Charminar (the icon of Hyderabad), Sufi Shrine, Bi...