Sunday 31 January 2010

Weekend

La bohème was nice but the theatre was way too cold, so it wasn't a brilliant idea to wear a sleeveless dress. I must remember to bring a sweater in future.

We enjoyed the opera despite overhearing a group of students behind us complaining, "It's so freaking boring!" Three people sitting next to CH disappeared after the first interval. They brought their body warmth with them because the theatre got progressively colder after that.

As much as we enjoyed the performance, it was a relief when we finally walked out of the theatre after 2.5 hours. I was starving by then, so we stopped by Glutton's Corner for a plate of char kway teow (fried noodles) and hot teh tarik (milk tea).

It was close to midnight by the time we got home and I promptly fell asleep after that.

I woke up on Sunday morning to find Rusty's vomit on the shaggy rug. Fedup of the disgusting condition the rug was in, I made a hasty decision to wash it, hoping that the weather would stay sunny all day.


The super shaggy rug was soon soaked in so much soapy water, it must have weighed a ton. I worked up such a sweat scrubbing the thick woollen pile. Finally I rinsed with a fragrant fabric softener before dragging it to the sunniest part of the patio. Flipping a wet rug was such a mammoth task!

Needless to say, I spent all day watching the weather like a hawk. Even after an entire day under the hot sun, some areas of the rug did not dry completely.

My advice is don't try this at home. A stunt like this would not only make the manufacturer howl in despair, the rug may end up smelling like a drenched rat if you don't dry it properly. It may even end up in the trash.

Thank goodness my rug smells and feels so nice and woolly now. I'm sure Rusty shares the same sentiment. With him around, I'm not sure how long it will stay this way.

4 comments:

auntielucia said...

Thanks for the tip re the cold theatre. I'm going tmr nite and so will be well armed n clothed!

Btw, I thought u were going to throw away the rug when I read "Fedup of the disgusting condition the rug was in, I made a hasty decision .." only to be taken aback by the words that followed. Shows what a lazy bones I am!

Blur Ting said...

Auntie Lucia - Yes, bring a shawl too! And eat before go. There are 2 intervals (20 mins and 15 mins), so the show ended at around 10.20pm.

We love the rug too much to throw away. I had sent to the dry cleaners before they took 2 or 3 weeks to clean, so I did the washing myself. It was hard work!

huier said...

Hope Rusty's ok...btw it's a statement rug, would be so sayang to dump it.

Blur Ting said...

Hi Huier! Rusty's fine. He throws up once in a while and he likes to do it on the rug or bed!

It's a nice rug, just horribly filthy :-P

It's clean now :-)

Chowmahalla Palace

During our week in Hyderabad, some of the places we visited include the Mecca Mosque, the Charminar (the icon of Hyderabad), Sufi Shrine, Bi...