Monday 11 January 2010

Parking woes

There's nothing that can make my blood boil faster than receiving a parking summon.

After returning from a quick errand yesterday, I found a parking ticket stuck to my windscreen. The officer was nearby, so I marched up to him and asked why I was given a ticket despite displaying parking coupons.

"You had parked in the wrong direction", the poker-faced guy said before walking away.

Come on officer, give me a break! I had parked in a proper lot but you are giving me a $50 summon for parking in the wrong direction? For a start, Telok Ayer is a very busy and narrow road. I was overjoyed to find a space when I arrived. To avoid obstructing others, I quickly pulled into the lot without further thinking.

Anyone who had driven along that street outside Amoy Food Centre would know that it is not that easy to make a 3-point turn without causing even more traffic obstruction. It's a small 2-way street flanked by cars on both sides. There are always people waiting to park or making deliveries to the food centre nearby.

Anyway to cut the story short, I am just miffed that I was slapped with a summon for breaking a law that most people didn't even know exist. In situations like this, I think the officer should exercise some flexibility since I'm not causing any hindrance to other drivers.

I have a good driving record and I always display coupons, so I couldn't believe my eyes when I received a $30 parking ticket recently.

It was unfortunate that my parking coupon had slid off the dashboard and landed on the floor, so I wrote in to appeal and it was rejected. They said it is my duty to check that the coupon is properly displayed before I leave the car. Too bad. I paid up.

But I'm not giving up on this new one. I don't expect any sympathy but I'm still going to try. $50 can buy me alot of coupons you know.

15 comments:

auntielucia said...

BT: guess wrong direction means u were parked against the flow of traffic? I sympathise entirely. Have done it on Ann Siang Hill n elsewhere but I always knew it was wrong n fortunately have been by-passed by traffic wardens!

Blur Ting said...

Auntie Lucia - Yes but it is one of those narrow roads where even though it is 2-way, mostly only one car can pass at a time. Pretty much like Ann Siang Hill.

Fresh Fry aka 福星 said...

wah liew.....i was stuck in the cab for a client's appointment right at that area when i was in my corporate days. tat place really cham one. haiz.....

Anonymous said...

Have been told yesterday that the traffic-wardens are now privatized and will issue tickets for the slightest... so better watch out all car owners

Anonymous said...

my husband also kenna $50 recently for parking in the wrong direction although still inside the lot (behind amara hotel). we didn't know there's such an offence! but he kuai kuai paid up.

qa said...

I empathize with you but I think traffic wardens must have come across many motorists doing this, so he cannot just let every one off.

And it might deprive another motorist in the right direction of a lot simply because this person in the wrong direction is nearer.

Unknown said...

Parking at the wrong direction is a traffic offence. I think it should come under TP's scope. Are traffic wardens given the power/authority to issue summon? Very confused !

Amel said...

Oh dear...I'm SORRY to hear about this. :-((((

Blur Ting said...

Fry - While the Cisco guy was busy issuing summon, a parking auntie was also busy issuing tickets for people who did not display coupons. Super on the ball right?

Blur Ting said...

Amy - Yup, your friend is right. They're everywhere!

Blur Ting said...

Anonymous - When I told my friend about the summon, she was also surprised cos she didn't know it was an offence too.

Blur Ting said...

qa - Yup, they come across all kinds of cases everyday, and I bet they receive tons of appeal letters everyday too...

Blur Ting said...

Ong - Well, this was a Cisco officer and they're authorised to book drivers for traffic offence. I was just hoping they would be lenient because the road is a busy one and parking can be a real challenge during office hours.

Blur Ting said...

Amel - Yah, the feeling really sucks especially I was there to deliver a gardening sample to a school for free. I was in and out in 10 minutes and I wasn't spared. Even if I manage to sell the kits to the school in the end, I would need to sell alot just to recover this amount as our margins are so small!

Nick Phillips (15/03/1967 - 04/11/2022) said...

I think some flexibility should have been exercised. I know the law is law but sometimes some leeway should be given.

I've been summoned so many times for parking offenses that these days I really don't care anymore.

Chowmahalla Palace

During our week in Hyderabad, some of the places we visited include the Mecca Mosque, the Charminar (the icon of Hyderabad), Sufi Shrine, Bi...