Sunday 6 December 2009

Cooking bak kut teh


Cooking bak kut teh (peppery pork rib soup) in my household is quite a clandestine operation. It begins with lighting a charcoal fire in the balcony behind the kitchen.

When it comes to eating bak kut teh, I want the meat to fall off the bone and melt in the mouth. I believe the best way to achieve this is to cook over a slow charcoal fire.

Believe me, lighting a charcoal stove in an apartment is by no means an easy task. Starting a fire is easy (and safe) but it is impossible to control the amount of smoke generated during the initial start-up.

It can be quite nerve wrecking. I pray for less smoke and even less neighbours hanging around outside. I peer below to find a middle-aged woman waiting for a friend. She didn't seem bothered by the smoke. Nobody raised an alarm. I willed for the charcoal to turn into glowing hot coals quickly. That's when the smoking stops and the cooking begins.

I placed my pot on the stove and soon, the peppery smell of bak kut teh fills the air. I can't wait to taste the tender ribs and tasty soup tonight. It's worth the effort!

4 comments:

Petunia Lee said...

Wow! You really go all out for a bak kut teh!!

Amel said...

YUM YUM...I bought a pack of instant bak kut teh spices in Bandung and I can't wait to try it later. :-D

Fresh Fry aka 福星 said...

OMG.....i miss my Ah Ma. she makes bak-zhang by the charcoal stove also.

Nick Phillips (15/03/1967 - 04/11/2022) said...

Oh man, I haven't eaten Bak Kut Teh in ages and with the diet I'm on, it looks like it's going to be quite a while before I have some ...

Chowmahalla Palace

During our week in Hyderabad, some of the places we visited include the Mecca Mosque, the Charminar (the icon of Hyderabad), Sufi Shrine, Bi...