Tuesday 1 May 2007

Fear of crowded places

The trouble with Singaporeans is they all flock to the malls during weekends and public holidays. Yesterday’s trip to VivoCity made me realise all over again why I hate crowded places.

We were there to catch Spiderman 3, which opened in the cinemas here on May Day. When we arrived, there were loads of cars waiting around for parking lots. Now, this huge mall has 2,000 carpark spaces, yet it took us 20 minutes to find a vacant one. By then, I was wondering why I even bothered coming here.

When we walked into the mall, which houses more than 300 retail, F&B and entertainment outlets over one million square feet of floor space, the so-called ‘wide open spaces for waterfront relaxation and entertainment’ were jam-packed with people.

According to the developer, VivoCity is derived from the word Vivacity, a place bubbling with energy and flowing with vitality. Maybe that’s what they mean!

The iconic architecture of this harbour front development is the work of internationally acclaimed Japanese architect Toyo Ito, who drew inspiration from waves on the sea. No wonder I started feeling dizzy soon after. Thanks to the sight of people thronging about!

To get to the cinema at the other end of the mall, we had to navigate through lots of wavy spaces. The confusing signboards didn't help one bit. After weaving through hordes of shoppers and bumping into prams and wailing babies, my head was throbbing. Gosh, half the nation must be here!

Fortunately, the soft lighting and the wonderful smell of caramalised popcorn at the Cineplex lobby provided some respite from the crazy world outside. The cinemas inside boast of soft plush chairs and the widest 35mm indoor cinema screen in Asia. The movie was nice too!

Yesterday's experience at VivoCity was a far cry from my visit on Monday. On a quiet workday, I could appreciate the light, fluid and relaxed ambience that Toyo Ito had envisioned. I even noticed that he had cleverly incorporated skylights and flowing surface configuration that leads one intuitively from one area to another.

Unfortunately, I don't think anyone had the opportunity (nor the mood) to admire the wonderful architecture if all they could see are people.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Its been really long since I visited Singapore.. but every time I read your posts [which are wonderfully descriptive] I can't but help draw parallels to Dubai.
Shopping and Malls here truly are a national pastime. Come Friday [holiday here] the malls are filled with a motley assortment, many of them tourists and parking is a nightmare to find.

The Real Mother Hen said...

Oh I can imagine the scene - you know I always avoid the underground link between Orchard MRT and Taka - the stretch is short, yet it gives me so much headache! :(

Blur Ting said...

Dubai and Singapore are similar in many ways and they draw inspiration from each other in the development of the city. Plus, it gets so hot here, most people seek refuge in the malls. Oh, but I get such a headache too, when it gets crowded!

Chowmahalla Palace

During our week in Hyderabad, some of the places we visited include the Mecca Mosque, the Charminar (the icon of Hyderabad), Sufi Shrine, Bi...