Tuesday 8 May 2007

A Singlish lesson

As Singaporeans, we write in English but when it comes to talking, we switch to Singlish, our Singapore slang. It’s one of Singapore's best-loved quirks, used daily by everyone from cabbies to CEOs.

Overheard in school….
A: Wah lau, today the paper damn hard seah. How to pass like that? [The test paper was really tough. It’s going to be difficult for me to pass.]
B: Yalor, I also cannot finish. How ah? Like that sure die one. [Yes, I couldn’t finish answering the questions too. Looks like I’m going to fail.]
A: Who ask the teacher lah! Kena this kind of paper also bopian. [It’s all the teacher’s fault! But really, there’s nothing much we can do about it now.]
B: Hiya, I study so much also no use liao. All never come out. [Sigh. No use studying so much. The topics that I revised were not even tested.]
A: Nehmind, I bochap liao. Test nia. We go jalan jalan lah. Relac abit hor. [It’s alright. I don’t care anymore. It’s only a test afterall. Let’s go for a walk to relax ok.]
B: Ok lor. I also damn sian. We go there eat ice cream lah. They say damn shiok! [Ok. I’m so discouraged right now. Let’s eat ice cream over there. I heard it’s really delicious!]

Expatriates who are initially perplexed soon find themselves speaking some Singlish but it’s never quite the same because it’s such a complex rojak [mixture] whereby English follows Chinese grammar and is liberally sprinkled with words from the local Chinese, Malay and Indian dialects.

Our government frowns on the use of Singlish saying it reflects badly on us and is bad for Singapore's sober image as a commercial and financial center. As if having a reputation of being kiasu (afraid to lose out to others ) is not bad enough....

Well, I think Singlish is fun and witty. I won’t give it up for anything in the world. Where else can you call someone a blur sotong (clueless as a squid) or toot (uncool) or a bald person a ‘botak head’? Do you know a flat tyre is known as 'car ponchek' and to reverse is to ‘gostun’? Don't play play, ok.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I think I'm going to pick one of these from your post and use it to show off!!

Blur Ting said...

ha ha. Remember to speak it with an attitude! Here's another one: Why you so like that?! (why are you behaving this way?)

Chowmahalla Palace

During our week in Hyderabad, some of the places we visited include the Mecca Mosque, the Charminar (the icon of Hyderabad), Sufi Shrine, Bi...