Sunday 24 February 2008

Lost in transition

Everytime I change to a new mobile phone, I lose a handful of contacts. When I ditched my Sony Ericsson for a Nokia last year, half my contacts list disappeared. Maybe they were stored in the old memory card which I couldn't retrieve as my cable wasn't working. Duh, if the phone wasn't faulty, I wouldn't change it right?

So I began the tedious process of collating numbers again. Just when I had finally updated my contacts list, I drowned my phone in a bag of water. I brought it to Nokia and was told the warranty does not cover drowned phones and it is beyond economic repair. Period.

I bought myself a new phone, inserted my SIM card and found a large chunk of contacts missing. I am ashamed to admit that except for YK's mobile, my office and home numbers, I can barely remember anyone else's number. I couldn't even remember CH's number correctly. So I began the process of updating again.

When I asked SK's tutor for her contact number, she sighed, "What? You've lost it again?" She suddenly realised where SK gets his genes from!

The most embarrassing moments came when I receive text messages from close friends. The other day, a dear friend texted me, "Can you come to my place for BBQ?" and I replied, "Thanks for the invitation but who are you?"

Yesterday, someone sent me a message wishing me a good weekend. After exchanging several text messages, I finally asked, "Sorry, but are you Karen? I've just changed my phone and lost some contact numbers."

The replied came a while later, "No, it's Capt Frankie Lim."

Oops, he's an important customer. I hope I didn't ruin his weekend.

16 comments:

Anonymous said...

ha ha! i did that too...and papa bean lied to the phone company about me dropping it in water..but they KNEW... *sigh*....i use a nokia too...

Nick Phillips (15/03/1967 - 04/11/2022) said...

If I lost my cell phone, I'd be screwed cos my whole lifetime contacts are listed there. I don't even have back up copy of any of the contacts. And I can't remember numbers for nuts either!

fishwithoutbicycle said...

This happened to me when I got a new phone, I lost about 20-30 contacts.

I'm sure I read about a device which plugs into your phone and allows you to copy your contact numbers to a backup. That way if the phone goes you have options. That would be great. If I imagined it I should invent it ;-)

Blur Ting said...

Oh JY, I was so tempted to lie but I knew if they opened up the phone, they would be able to tell. So I thought being honest pays...but guess not. That phone was only few months old!!

Blur Ting said...

Nick, you had better start saving the numbers somewhere. Get a cable and transfer to your computer!

Blur Ting said...

Fish - that sounds like a good idea. Gotta find that device soon.

The Real Mother Hen said...

Ahhhhh so funny :)

Well if it makes you feel better, I can't even remember my own phone number, let alone others.
So I have this habit of storing my own number in my cell and sometimes accidentally call myself too!

Michelle said...

I hate upgrading or changing because I always seem to lose more old stuff then gain new-improved stuff!

another phone grumble - they make watches you can wear deep sea diving and cameras you can (according to one TV advert here) drop, put in water and let your dog carry, but mobile/cel phones break so easily.

My hubby had a brand new 0one month) phone in his jeans pocket and when he took it out the screen was destroyed. He never bumped it or anything like that, but the shop said it "happens a lot" from even mild pressure/bump. :-(

Blur Ting said...

Ha ha, MH, I still can remember part of your old Singapore mobile number, 900xxxx.

Blur Ting said...

Michelle, I agree. The phones these days are really not made to last. I still prefer the older models that were not so delicate. I guess everyone wants a lighter, slimmer phone, so the materials get thinner and mor fragile.

Amel said...

Oh dear...I also HATE the process of having to update the contact list. Well, I hope you'll be able to retrieve all the important numbers later on!!!!

J@n!ce said...

That could be my worst fear.... I lost my contact once & now I backup regularly on my notebook.... ;p

SOUL said...

:))
you are beginning to sound like me! that cannot be good.
happpy monday!

Mike Minzes said...

Create you contacts on MS Outlook and then synch it with your phone. Wala, contacts protected!

WaterLearner said...

Yozz Blur,

Haha.. changing phones can indeed be quite a hassle. I used to change mobile once a year. I guess I have outgrown that as well now :-).

How's the office moving? I have not been blogging or keep in touch much in the blogosphere these two weeks.

Blur Ting said...

Hi Karen! I like familiarity, so I don't change my phone unless I really have to.

the office? Still status quo. I am going to look at one unit in Eunos Techpark this week. I wrote to the landlord about the new rates but they haven't replied. I have several months more to look.

Hope your move into the new house is going smoothly.

Chowmahalla Palace

During our week in Hyderabad, some of the places we visited include the Mecca Mosque, the Charminar (the icon of Hyderabad), Sufi Shrine, Bi...