Wednesday 18 May 2011

Upside down pear cake

CH claims he had never seen a pear cake until I baked one last weekend.

Well, I had to do something about the over-ripe pears in the fridge.

And the pack of granola that had been lying around.

I've made cakes using bananas and apples, so I don't see why I can't make one using fresh pears! The result was pretty good too.

Ingredients
(A)
5 small pears, peeled and sliced
50g butter
1 teaspoon sugar

Melt butter in a frying pan. Add pear and sugar. Cook until pear is soft. Set aside.

(B)
200g butter
1.5 cups self raising flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 cup sugar
3 eggs
Grated fresh ginger (optional)

Cream butter and sugar until mixture is pale. Stir in one egg at a time.
Add in flour + baking soda + grated ginger until the batter is well mixed.

Sieve a thin layer of flour onto the baking tin. Layer the pear slices at the bottom of the tin. Pour granola (optional) on top of the pears. Pour all the batter into the pan.

Bake in pre-heated oven at 170 degree celcius for an hour. Let cake cool for 10 minutes. Turn a cake plate upside down on top of the cake pan and carefully invert the cake pan onto the plate.

6 comments:

auntielucia said...

Oh wow! Looks good! N simple too... pity I don't have a proper oven!

Blur Ting said...

Auntie Lucia - My oven is not that proper either but still able to do a decent job.

Anonymous said...

hi when you use cups how many grams is to 1?

Blur Ting said...

I use a measuring cup with markings on it, so I am not sure how many grams.

Actually, I would suggest you take a small cup or bowl and use that to measure the flour and sugar. As long as the proportions are correct, your cake will turn out fine.

Oh, I also added some grated fresh ginger into the batter to give the cake a gingery flavour.

charlie hotel said...

Tasty!

Malar said...

the cake looks delicious!

Chowmahalla Palace

During our week in Hyderabad, some of the places we visited include the Mecca Mosque, the Charminar (the icon of Hyderabad), Sufi Shrine, Bi...