Thursday 11 October 2007

Dinner Party Meme

I’ve been tagged by Amel’s Realm to do the Dinner party Meme.

The rules as set out by Graham (the originator of this meme) are as follows:-

The idea is to work your way through the eight phases of the dinner party, answering all of the questions on the way - being as honest and creative as you wish. Once your homework has been completed, please nominate any bloggers who's "virtual" dinner party you would love to hear about.

1) The Dinner Party Theme:
You have decided to hold a dinner party. When writing the invites you clearly state that fancy dress must be worn. Assuming that cost is no issue, who or what would you dress up as, and why?

Now that cost is not an issue, I would like to splurge it all on a yacht. In line with the nautical theme, guests can come dressed in anything ‘nauti’ … it doesn’t matter really. I just want everyone to be comfortable, enjoy the food, sea breeze and most importantly, the company.

2) The Invitations:
This dinner party is for 6 people (including yourself), you are allowed to invite any 5 other people (either past, present, real or fictional), who would you invite and why?

I enjoy the company of people who will entertain me with lively conversation all night for I have such a voracious appetite for travel and adventure stories and life experiences. Someone who’s observant, sincere, relaxed, witty and has good humor would make the cut. Some names that I can think of are –

Tony and Maureen Wheeler - because I am so intrigued by this pair of globetrotters who managed to make The Lonely Planet into such a successful organization. I long to be in their shoes.

I’ll be very excited to invite Prof Ann Wee to the party too. I don’t know her at all but I read about her in the newspaper today. At 81, she clearly does not believe in being held hostage to the slings and arrows of life. I’m moved by what she said “I describe myself as an “Old Person With Attitude” (OPWA). I drive, I work, I go to see students, I take care of my garden, my life. I am fully alive to the world.”

When she retired as the head of the National University of Singapore’s social work department at 60, she made an effort to join organizations so that she can continue doing voluntary work. “You do have to try and retain your interests in other things, other people, because if you’re interested in only yourself, you’re such a bore, no one wants to be near you,” she declares.

Such strong views are part and parcel of who Prof Wee is. For that reason, I would love to have her at my party because I would like to become an OPWA like her, one who face life with such a positive attitude.

Of course, I would like C.H. to be at the party simply because it would not be complete without him by my side. We’re supposed to sail into the sunset together and be fully alive to the world in the years to come. (I hope)

I will let Prof Ann Wee bring her best friend along. I’m sure she would be most happy to share an enjoyable evening with someone she cares about.

3) The Starter:
You are preparing the menu, which dish(es) would you choose as the starter, and why?

It will be a huge platter of hors d’œuvre, from Italian antipasto and Spanish tapas to Japanese sushi and Middle-eastern meze.

4) The Main Course:
Okay, now for the main course? and what drink would you serve with it?

Main course would be Mediterranean cuisine featuring lots of fresh but simply prepared seafood... and meat for the carnivores.
Drink – fine champagne and wine.

5) The Sweet:
Finally, the sweet. Which would you choose, and why?

I would have a selection of the most decadent desserts like Tiramisu, cheesecake, chocolate fondue, fruit tarts, ice cream as well as sweet succulent summer fruits like peaches, nectarines and melons.

6) The Entertainment:
The dinner party has gone swimmingly, everybody has had fun, conversation and drinks have been flowing all evening. At the end of the meal you announce that everybody should perform their 'party piece' (no matter how strange or pointless). What party piece would you perform?

I am a lousy performer who can’t dance to save my life. But since this is a fantasy, I would love to do the salsa like a pro!

7) The End Of The Evening:
The party is over, everybody has gone home, the house suddenly feels empty and quiet. Your eyes fix on the hi-fi in the corner of the room. You search though your CD collection to put on some music as you want to listen to one more track before your retire to bed. Which track would you play?

I’ll pick something soulful like Home by Michael Bublé



8) The Dinner Party Nightmares:
Okay, so the "virtual" dinner party is over. Now for the real thing. Have you ever been to or hosted a dinner party during which something has gone wrong (either with the food, a guest or something else)?

I wish I have something scandalous to write about, but... nothing terribly exciting had gone wrong at any party I have hosted (thank goodness!) or attended.

Finally, I would love to invite all my blogger friends to do this MeMe if they're in a virtual partying mood!

4 comments:

Amel said...

ARRRRRRRRGHHHHHHHHHH!!!

I LOVE THAT SONG!!! I used to sing that song to myself when I was apart from my hubby for 4 months...I really wanted to be with him back then he he he...

All in all, LOVED the party you threw! EXCELLENT! On a yacht, too? Never had it before he he he...

And I'm also interested in talking to your guests. What a WONDERFUL combination of people!!! ;-D I also want to be an OPWA when I'm old later on! YES, PLEASE!!!

And you know I'm craving for seafood, so I'm gonna gobble up so much food if I were there hi hi hi hi hi...LOL!!!

Btw, you missed the last one.

8) The Dinner Party Nightmares: Okay, so the "virtual" dinner party is over. Now for the real thing. Have you ever been to or hosted a dinner party during which something has gone wrong (either with the food, a guest or something else)?

Amel said...

One more thing: WISH YOU and CH many many more years of love to come...going stronger together and closer and closer and cloooozzzeeerrr he he he...

Anonymous said...

Oh! I liked this meme. I would love to be a mouse in the corner at that dinner party!

The Real Mother Hen said...

Hahaha Hollygl is so funny :)
Well, I would like to be RUSTY in that dinner party :)

Chowmahalla Palace

During our week in Hyderabad, some of the places we visited include the Mecca Mosque, the Charminar (the icon of Hyderabad), Sufi Shrine, Bi...