Tuesday 23 October 2007

Home stretch

I love driving home everyday. Home is a farmhouse in one of the last remaining natural oases in Singapore, a place that has not been blemished by skyscrapers and shopping malls.

I like cruising along the quiet roads that are fringed by vegetable and fish farms on both sides. Here, traffic is scarce and direction signs scarcer. Bus services are non-existent and shops are rare.

I tell the kids “Aren’t we so lucky to live here. Unlike your friends, we have no reason to leave home for a countryside holiday.” They roll their eyes.

The farms in this neck of the woods are arguably the best kept secret of Singapore though lately, day-trippers have been making their way here to experience the countryside charm. Overnight farmstays may be coming up next as the authorities are encouraging farmers to open shops, education centres and restaurants on their premises, as well as to take in staying guests.

Soon, this rustic charm will be gone. We may then have to find our countryside holiday somewhere else, far away.




11 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thank god she's a country girl!

Blur Ting said...

Only a country bumpkin can be so blur...

The World According To Me said...

Hello country girl

I haven't been to blogland for a while, and it seems I have missed loads!
Well done with your run.
The wedding pics are lovely, and so is little Ting in her new top.

Amel said...

LOVE the pics!!! Yeah, I went to Singapore once, so I could imagine how GREAT it was to live in such a place, Blur.

Sorry to hear that it'll be gone later on. :-(((((

Unknown said...

So pretty :) How far away are you from the city?
Makes me miss home! It's 25km away from the city, but now I heard there are hillside resorts and spas, overnight farmstays and tourists that decide to stay for good.

The Real Mother Hen said...

I've always liked your house. I used to tell Robin that it is the only place in Singapore when you can't see any tall building in the horizon.

SOUL said...

i likee!

Blur Ting said...

My place is also around 20+ km from the city. The nearest mall and subway are about 4km away.

When I see the apartment blocks across the river from where we live, I tell myself "Thank god I'm on this side of the river!"

Anonymous said...

How beautiful. I sooo miss the countryside. Actually, I miss everything but the heart of the city.

Mike Minzes said...

The country is so nice. Unfortunately I didn't get to see that part of Singapore. But next time I am there i will make sure to visit.

Blur Ting said...

Holly, I can sense you need a retreat away from work and the city life.

Mike - Hello! Good to see you here. Next time, it'll be at our farm!

Chowmahalla Palace

During our week in Hyderabad, some of the places we visited include the Mecca Mosque, the Charminar (the icon of Hyderabad), Sufi Shrine, Bi...