Tuesday 10 March 2009

Whiny wednesday

I'm late in posting this morning. I have a confession to make. I spent a good hour reading about the recently divorced local celeb couple. I can't explain why I'm fixated on the hows and whys of their split. It's like a soap opera that I can't resist.

Seeing the bitterness unfolding and resentment slowly creeping in even though they had proclaimed to be good friends just weeks ago reminds me of my bad old days. Maybe I am just curious to see if theirs match up to mine but really, enough is enough! Time to move on folks!

On to something else more realistic. I'm not happy at all to find out that we're living in the 10th most expensive city in the world. No wonder I've been wondering if there's a hole in my pocket as I made yet another trip to the ATM machine. I withdrew $100 on the way to work yesterday and was left with $2 today. Where did it all go? $50 for SK to top up his Transitlink card, $10 for his pocket money and the rest went to YK for his transport and allowance this week.

Now I know why $100 that used to last me a week can't even last a day now. Singapore's getting too expensive to live in. I'm not even counting the ERP charges that get deducted stealthily out of my cash card everyday.

Even growing vegetables at home is proving to be expensive. I spent another $10 on garden soil yeterday and paid $1.50 for 20 butterhead lettuce seeds. YK was shaking his head when he saw me lugging in 5 bags of soil. "It's cheaper if you buy your vegetables from the market you know."

He's quite right. But the satisfaction of eating your own produce is priceless! My last batch of lettuce had a strange bitter taste, yet I savoured every leaf like it was gourmet food. Only a gardener will understand.

I'm in a lettuce-growing phase. This week, I sowed four different kinds of lettuce seeds just to see how they fare against each other. YK gets worried when he sees me pottering around the garden too much. He hopes that I'm not neglecting my core business, the one that has been providing for the family all these years.

"Of course not", I assure him. "But one mustn't stop looking for other opportunities too. Who knows what you can find if you start digging?"

10 comments:

J@n!ce said...

I can relate to that. I draw out S$600 over the weekends its gone now. S$350 for helper's wages, S$150 for this week's grocery, S$20 for Amos' birthday party stuff, S$76 for my hair color..... *sigh*

Nick Phillips (15/03/1967 - 04/11/2022) said...

I agree with Janice. Every time I go shopping, almost all my money seems to dissolve into thin air and I'm not living in the world's 10th most expensive city even ... siggghhh ...

The Real Mother Hen said...

Some lettuce do have a bitter taste, yet it's still good to eat.

Which celeb couple are you referring to? Fann Wong? ;)

The World According To Me said...

10th? Crikey, it must be pricey out there. What's number 1, and I won't go there!

I'm wondering the same as The Real Mother Hen, what celeb couple is it? I'm seeing my ex after 4 years in 3weeks time, at a wedding of all places! Can't say I'm looking forward to bumping into him...

Blur Ting said...

Janice - Nowadays the money gets distributed to everyone, we hardly get to keep any for ourselves!

Blur Ting said...

Nick - Supermarkets are the worst places to step into!

Blur Ting said...

MH - This kind is not supposed to be bitter.It's the local one used for popiah. Light coloured and very delicate one.

The couple is not even very famous :-) Jamie Yeo and Glenn Ong.

Blur Ting said...

World - That same magazine also featured how Jennifer Aniston went to great lengths to avoid bumping into Bratt Pitt and Angelina at the award ceremony. You must plan your move too! But after 4 years, maybe the bitterness is gone. You just go out looking your best and have a good time!

Anonymous said...

Actually I donm't believe the survey cos they had London right at the bottom of the list of expensive cities... C'mon, anyone who's been there will know they get a heart attack at the price of even the Tube's fares, let other other stuff!

PS: Blut did I spot u at Uncle's Kitchen, Bugis Junction, B1, yesterday with a woman and two men, probably fm the Indian sub continent?

Blur Ting said...

Auntie Lucia - Talking about tube fare in London, I almost got a heart attack when I bought the tickets from Bath to Reading. The 1-hour journey cost 33 pounds! That was like S$80 and I was thinking we travel from one end of Singapore to another for just $2!

That wasn't me you saw. I wasn't there yesterday. BTW, I wear glasses these days, so look out for Ms speckie.

Chowmahalla Palace

During our week in Hyderabad, some of the places we visited include the Mecca Mosque, the Charminar (the icon of Hyderabad), Sufi Shrine, Bi...