Wednesday 8 July 2009

Blurting Happy Ideas

For years, I have always yearned for a steady stream of income on the side. Nothing ambitious, just a passive income for the kids' education in future. Parents in Singapore are so savvy these days, they start an education fund the moment their child is born. I've missed the boat and my kids are growing too fast, the 'future' is almost here.

Then a month ago, I suddenly felt inspired to write a book. It began as a simple idea. I'm a happy person, so I shall write a book on happiness!

Maybe the process was too exciting, I got carried away. Perhaps I should put in pictures. Add in quotes as well. Some graphics would be cool. I need more colours. Make the words bold and colourful!

That was when I started worrying. Would anyone want to pay for my e-book? Are the photos up to standard? Is the content exciting? Would people feel happy after reading it?

Then I emailed the book to a handful of friends and braced myself for criticisms. They were all very kind. They say it is a lively book with beautiful photos, and the topic is one that speaks to people. Some say it contains good reminders of how to step back and conduct our lives. My sis-in-law says the ideas are simple, nonetheless good reminders of things so simple and yet so frequently forgotten and overlooked.

I've also received many good suggestions and constructive comments from the savvy bloggers. A couple of them think I'm not showcasing my best. I even had a good conversation with one who's on the verge of publishing her book. She gave me lots of inspiration.

Best friend, as usual, didn't even acknowledge receiving the book, let alone give any comments. It made me quite sad.

It was after a meeting with an artist friend yesterday that a new and better idea was born. It gave me new direction and inspiration to start all over again.

So, last night, I decided to put my Happy Ideas on a blog for free. To be honest, it doesn't make me happy collecting $5 from people for something which I think is not my best. Afterall, my original intention is to share happiness with people.

When YK heard my announcement, he was quick to console, "You book is good! Really! Please don't kill it."

I'm not shelving it or killing it, I plan to share it with my readers, one happy idea a day. I hope it makes their day a little happier. It's called Blurting Happy Ideas.

6 comments:

auntielucia said...

That's the way to go Blur Ting! All the best, as the best is and will be!

Fresh Fry aka 福星 said...

tot of putting up Paypal on it?

Blur Ting said...

Auntie Lucia - Thanks for your encouragement!

Blur Ting said...

Fry - No, I don't plan to collect any money on that blog.

Amel said...

Ahhhh...you've turned the idea into another blog? Okie dokie then...well, maybe then you can collect more happy ideas and in the end you'll be able to make a book after all HE HE HE HE...

HAVE FUN and GOOD LUCK in any future endeavors you want to do to secure your kids' future! :-))))

I like the blog 'coz it gives me a day-to-day reminder of all the good things in life. :-D So KEEP IT UP!!!

The Real Mother Hen said...

You do have some great materials in there. Yeah, I especially like the numbering #1, #2 etc, more aligned with the title.

Chowmahalla Palace

During our week in Hyderabad, some of the places we visited include the Mecca Mosque, the Charminar (the icon of Hyderabad), Sufi Shrine, Bi...