Thursday 9 July 2009

Old friend

I met an old friend yesterday. I heard he went through a bad patch recently, seeing his face light up and hearing him chuckle made me happy too.

"You look very good!", he said. I protested, "No! I just came from the container yard, I'm covered in dust and sweat."

So we sat down and chatted over coffee. "You should settle down", he advised. Again I protested, "No lah. I'm happy the way I am."

He's married with two kids and he likes to promote the happy marital lifestyle. Just as he was about to start a long lecture, I quickly distracted him with other topics. An engineer by training, he loves to tinker around in the backyard. So he spoke passionately about his latest home-made invention, the solar-powered climate-controlled greenhouse. The irony is, he has the perfect little greenhouse but he knows nothing about growing things. Just like he loves deep sea fishing but doesn't know how to cook his catch.

When I got home, I began thinking about his advice. What's he trying to tell me? That I should make hay while the sun shines?

Come to think of it, I'm not exactly the best candidate for marriage, not that I'm desperate to get hitched anyway. The kids will be embarking on tertiary education soon. They're not scholarship material, so funding falls squarely on my shoulders. If they're heading for an oversea education, it could cost me an arm and a leg.

It's probably not the best time for anyone to marry me. Better to wait until the kids are armed with a degree and see if mummy still has all her limbs intact. There are plenty of fishes in the ocean anyway.

4 comments:

Petunia Lee said...

There's a book you should read "Act like a lady. Think like a man."

Really, really recommended. I bought it for my daughter, and I learnt some things about me and men too.

Blur Ting said...

Thank you. I will go look for it. :-)

Blur Ting said...

I read some pages of this book from the site:
http://browseinside.harpercollins.com/index.aspx?isbn13=9780061728976
Good read indeed!

Amel said...

Well, it's your life, so just do whatever you want to do with it. :-)))) As long as you're happy. :-)))

Chowmahalla Palace

During our week in Hyderabad, some of the places we visited include the Mecca Mosque, the Charminar (the icon of Hyderabad), Sufi Shrine, Bi...