Tuesday 28 July 2009

Old habits die hard

Finally life is humming along nicely again. I'm back to my usual sleeping routine. The dog gets his walks and the kids are eating wholesome dinners again.

Well, they were very satisfied with dinner last night even though it was a very simple one featuring mainly greens like bean sprouts/shitake mushroom, sambal kangkong, dou miao (young sprouts) and asparagus/sliced fish. They have been brought up on a simple diet from young, so they're easy to please. The fact that they prefer vegetables and seafood over meat makes my job alot easier.

My parents brought us up this way too. Being Teochew, we always had lots of vegetables and steamed fish at the dinner table. Teochew specialties like braised duck, ngoh hiang (meat rolls) and steamed crab would make an appearance on special ocassions. Dinner would only begin when everyone was seated round the dining table. Dad came home for dinner every night without fail.

It dawned on me that I am indeed quite traditional. From the Teochew cuisine to the way I sit round the dinner table with the kids, it's like a scene out of my own childhood.

In fact, the kids are so used to this lifestyle that on days when I can't have dinner at home with them, they feel like something is amiss.

10 comments:

huier said...

Even though I have not tasted your cooking, I honestly think that they must be excellent...simply, you have added so much love into it! Love love teochew muay too.

Petunia Lee said...

Yah! I shall invite me to dinner.

k@Ye_ said...

Psst, same case for my family but nowadays only official dinner then everyone sits at the table to eat...

If not its buffet style.

Blur Ting said...

Huier - Heh, must cook for you one day. Actually there are days when I don't put in 100% effort to cook. :-)

Blur Ting said...

Petunia - You are most welcome!!

Blur Ting said...

Kaye - I think it is because of everyone's different timing right? Well, we still eat together at my parent's place everytime!

w said...

I have been thinking about building that habit here at home even though we are only two I don't think we should usually have dinner in the living room. My parents wouldn't allow me to eat in the living room and now well, it's rare the occasion when we use the dining room table to eat.

I had never heard of the Teochew cuisine. I had a look at the link...tempting. I have been trying to eat mainly Japanese stuff lately. I even bought a book :)

Blur Ting said...

Wen - It's hard when there are just two of you and you've got a million things to do at once. We often end up eating round the coffee table because the dining table is piled with books etc.

Japanese food is healthy and delicious too!

EE said...

It's the time for family bonding. Such are important tradition to upkeep

Jenny Eshjey said...

Dear Blur Ting,

What a delicious food you have! You have a family bonding when you cook for them. My lovely daughter also cook today for us (6 family members including my second brother) although it's only a simple dishes. We all happy while eating & chatting together when lunch time.

by Jenny Malaysia.

Chowmahalla Palace

During our week in Hyderabad, some of the places we visited include the Mecca Mosque, the Charminar (the icon of Hyderabad), Sufi Shrine, Bi...