Thursday 9 July 2009

Canine nightmare

Yesterday, YK told me about a new reality show which totally grossed me out. In it, the celebrities were made to eat a rat's tail, iguana's tail, blended pig's stomach, boiled tripe, tarantula, scorpions and alot of other gross things to compete against each other.

Then he went on to describe very graphically how he had seen tripe being removed from a butchered cow on Youtube. We both agreed that working in an abbatoir must be the worst job ever and how we would never ever eat tripe.

It was no surprise that I had a nightmare last night. I was working in an abbatoir and the animal I had to slaughter was my little Rusty. Maybe I was playing with him on my bed before I fell asleep but why in heaven's name would I ever think of harming my dog? But in my dream, I sliced Rusty up and laid him flat on the steel table like a bear rug, wondering why people would eat cute little dogs like him.

I woke up very early this morning, feeling so guilty about the nightmare. I was especially hungry too, so I had breakfast at 5.30am. An hour later, I brought Rusty down for his walk.

As usual, we saw this lady with her two white maltese or shitzus (I can never tell them apart) running freely in the field. The more aggressive one charged forward to bark at Rusty. It makes a really annoying high-pitched bark which made Rusty growl.

For a jack russell, Rusty is a mild mannered dog who usually ignores other dogs unless provoked. To avoid any confrontation, I picked Rusty up in my arms immediately. As I turned to walk away, that dog sank its sharp tiny teeth into my right leg. Despite its small size, it was a painful bite. I shouted "Your dog bit me!".

The owner nonchalantly summoned her dog back and gave it a little spank. She did not even come forward to apologise or ask if I was hurt. I rolled up my pants and found punctured skin and some blue-black marks on the area.

I could have kicked a fuss but I decided to let the matter rest. The least she can do is to leash up her dogs up in future or I will complain to the authorities.

I used to think that dog owners are compassionate or nice people but I'm surprised to come across many sulky owners who pull a long face when our dogs check each other out. Their attitude makes me feel awkward.

Today's incident makes me think twice about bringing Rusty to the same area in future. I certainly don't wish to meet the dogs or the owner again.

11 comments:

charlie hotel said...

You shouldn't have to stop going there, you or Rusty did nothing wrong. The other dog owner should, unless she has no shame.

jyankee said...

I agree with CH, but I think you should have at least got the owner's name and contact details. Her dogs are not stray dogs, but the fact that there are puncture wounds in your leg and if it should get infected.... Take care Blur...

Blur Ting said...

CH - We're not in the wrong but at least my dog is leashed up. I may get bitten again!

Blur Ting said...

JY - You're right. That's the sensible thing to do but funny thing was, I was in a shock and retreated to a corner to check my wound. It looks ok now, no bleeding at least.

Fresh Fry aka 福星 said...

oh my, i've don't have much experience with dogs, but i tot of giving tat darn dog a good kick when i read how u got it.

bad owners beget bad dogs.

can taking photo of the incriminating evidence of the wound (+ unleased dogs) be of use in court? i mean, should any dispute come by.

auntielucia said...

Sori to b a wet blanket but think u shld get an anti-tetanus shot. Anything that breaks skin n draws blood cld potentially lead to complications.

As for that woman, I think u shld track her down and also make a complaint. It's not a case of turning the other cheek. There are laws and as a dog owner (like a car driver, investment analyst etc), she shld have the full force of the law thrown on her, when she breaks the law.

Blur Ting said...

Fry - Yes, there had been court cases. I had been bitten by a neighbour's dog when I was young. It was a big dog and the first reaction is always shock, so chances of kicking the dog is very slim. That was very painful cos the dog had strong jaws. My neighbour looked at it and siad, "It's ok lah. Run along..."

Blur Ting said...

Auntie Lucia - the first thing that came to my mind was do I need to get a shot. But after looking at it now, there is hardly any abrasion and pain, I think it should be fine.

I think the owner was also stumped when her dog ran and bit me. When I see her again, I'll definitely talk to her. Actually I often see another lady bringing the dogs down and that lady is more chatty.

Petunia Lee said...

Oh dear! What an awful experience... Are you sure there is no broken skin? I also think you should talk to the lady. Maybe she was in shock too and didn't know what to do. But then again, wouldn't one be naturally moved to apologize for causing someone else pain and hurt?

Blur Ting said...

Petunia - She's the stone-face type, so her reaction was more or less expected. Maybe she didn't think her dog could inflict any harm and the wound would be superficial. After the pain has subsided, it does look rather superficial now.

Amel said...

WHAT?!?!?!?! That's crazy! She could have at least apologize to you or try to see how bad the damage was...oh dear goodness...

Chowmahalla Palace

During our week in Hyderabad, some of the places we visited include the Mecca Mosque, the Charminar (the icon of Hyderabad), Sufi Shrine, Bi...