Sunday 22 March 2009

Well being

The late nights are beginning to take a toll on my aging body. School holidays are over and I was forced out of bed at 5.30am. It's back to the same old routine and gosh, waking up on a cool Monday morning was hard. I almost fell asleep driving to school and promptly laid my head on the desk to continue snoozing when I reached the office.

Our body goes through big changes throughout our life journey. In our 20s, we could drink and party all night and show up for work the next day without feeling any ill effects from the night before. Our body can no longer take such abuse. One late night and the entire week is ruined.

Talking about health matters, a recent study revealed that women in tense, strained marriages are more likely than men to suffer from mental problems like depression but also dangerous physiological conditions, such as high blood pressure and obesity.

When I read this, I was like "Duh! Isn't that obvious?" Any healthy person who's living or working in a tense environment over a period of time will surely be mentally affected in one way or another. I'm highly sensitive to mood changes and tend to let myself get affected by people's criticism easily.

SK is alot like me in that sense. When YK started lecturing him about this undesirable trait, I couldn't help but jump to SK's defence. At my ripe old age, I still find it difficult to let criticisms roll off my back. I've been trying to take things easy like my best friend. She's a master at this and such a good role model, yet, I haven't mastered any of her techniques. I thrive around happy, positive people but wilt like a rose when put in a negative and angry environment.

I'm glad that I haven't been riled by anyone in particular over the last eight years. Or perhaps I have finally toughened up emotionally and no longer allow small things to annoy me. Whatever it is, staying away from toxic people is still the best long term solution for one's well being.

15 comments:

Fresh Fry aka 福星 said...

u said it! toxic people are energy vampires. run to the nearest coconut tree and hide from it (climb up if u can for better vantage point), emerge only after it had passed. tats wat i always do.

no point fighting it head-on and lose more energy later. we've more impt stuff in our life to do! kekekekeke.......

k@Ye_ said...

YES, I AGREE!!! Stay away from -ve & toxic ppl!

Me also try to tell myself to heck care abt these idiots! :)

Petunia Lee said...

Toxic people are just that - toxic. It really isn't you that gets affected. Everyone gets affected.

Some people just internalize it and that isn't healthier. What's good though... is that as one gets older, one can recognize toxic people faster and disappear before the toxic person even knows one exists.

Best way to stay psychologically healthy is to hang around with psychologically hygienic people.

Anonymous said...

AGREE WHOLE HEARTEDLY
理事无碍,事事无碍!

huier said...

i conclude... this is where our frequencies meet...eye to eye! =))

Anonymous said...

I think you've learned where and when to pick your arguments... :)

Michelle said...

Great advice, Ting. Toxic people are the worst.

I also laughed at the marriage stress thing. I've seen these warning adverts - about how stress causing illnesses. They really annoy me because if you're stressed by life you now have the ADDED stress of knowing stress will make you sick. And that's helpful??

PS - Thank you for voting for my blog interview and the kind comment. :-)

Blur Ting said...

Fry - I've met some energy vampires in my life. Now I will run and hide when I see one.

Blur Ting said...

Kaye - The trouble with these people is, they can cling on like a leech sometimes.

Blur Ting said...

Petunia - You've summed it up very nicely.

Blur Ting said...

EE- I'm sure you've met alot in your field of work.

Blur Ting said...

Huier - Yes, we must avoid them at all cost!

Blur Ting said...

JY - You're right. We've learned that sometimes it is not worth the effort sweating the small stuff.

Blur Ting said...

Michelle - I often find these research and findings a waste of time !

You're a great writer Michelle. I always love your articles!

Amel said...

I'm also like you then. And yeah, that's also why I shy away from toxic people. Well, other than the fact that I don't really need too much encounters with other people in general he he...Me the hermit!!! I've also loosened up a bit during the years, but it's not that easy to be so easy going when you're not "characterically built" that way. It takes a lifetime to chip that way bit by bit...

Chowmahalla Palace

During our week in Hyderabad, some of the places we visited include the Mecca Mosque, the Charminar (the icon of Hyderabad), Sufi Shrine, Bi...