Wednesday 3 August 2011

Celebrate life!

I will be making another carrot cake with cheese frosting this Saturday to celebrate 3 birthdays in the family! My friends liked the cake so much, they said I should bake this for a living. I just feel that it's hard to go wrong if you are generous with the ingredients.

I used 3 large carrots and added lots of toasted walnut and jumbo raisin (soaked in fresh orange juice) into the batter. I didn't stinge on the cream cheese when I made the frosting as well, using an entire block (250g) of Philadelphia Cheese mixed with 100g butter and 60g icing sugar. Adding lemon juice and orange zest was a good move. It made the frosting tangy and delicious.

If there is one area I need to improve on, it would be my cake decorating skills. The cake looked ugly. Luckily the taste saved the day.

As you can imagine, a carrot cake that's chockful of ingredients is also filled with calories. That's why I will only make this when I know I have many people to share with.

That's also the reason why I have been running almost daily now. It's funny how I spotted this photo on Facebook yesterday. The event was Jurong Lake Run. After completing the 10k run, I walked to the Paypal booth to have a photo taken for fun.

Then this couple wanted their photo to look really authentic, so they invited me to join them.

I didn't finish third of course. By the time I crossed the finish line, the winners had already received their awards at the prize giving ceremony and gone home. They were that fast!

9 comments:

Petunia Lee said...

That cake has a rugged charm.

Blur Ting said...

I like that. Rugged charm. :-)

Amel said...

I should try making carrot cake sometime he he...and when I also did the same type of frosting (I made it even more sloppily), actually my friend thought that it was done on purpose! :-D

Blur Ting said...

Amel - It's not easy to do the frosting. My cake was still a bit warm, so the frosting started to melt!

charlie hotel said...

If you have whipped cream I can come draw a bunny on your cake :-)

The World According To Me said...

I think the cake looks yummy.
I've been baking recently and may even take some pics to show blogger!
My internet at home has not been working, but got myself a new modem so hoping to blog soon!

Malar said...

Yummy cake! I love carrot cake!

Ash said...

Aiyoo...I visit your blog after ages and its nice to see that you still years away from called an aunty ;) Amazing.. ! Must be the carrots.

Blur Ting said...

Haha Ash, you flatter me :-)

Chowmahalla Palace

During our week in Hyderabad, some of the places we visited include the Mecca Mosque, the Charminar (the icon of Hyderabad), Sufi Shrine, Bi...