Thursday 18 October 2012

Empty nest

Petunia talked about her feelings of lostness, and I understand completely how she feels. I'm in the same boat.

Ever since YK got enlisted in the army, the house has become empty and quiet. I miss those loud chuckles coming from his room. I even miss hearing that annoying song that he plays over and over again.

In our family, dinner doesn't start until everyone is home. It has always been the highlight of the day. Having one less person at the table now feels somewhat incomplete. Food doesn't taste as good without the lively conversations and commentaries by YK.

Luckily, the void has been filled by SK who is currently on school vacation. Things are going to change when his school term begins next Monday. Looks like I have to make do with Rusty for company.

When we first moved into this apartment, I longed for a bigger space and vowed to move out in three years. Four years on, I often find the house too empty and have lost the desire for a larger one. But secretly, I still harbour hopes of building a house that is large enough to accommodate three generations under one roof. How nice if we can all stay together till the end of time. I mustn't lose hope.

6 comments:

Petunia Lee said...

Thanks for the Kueh Ambon... comfort food!

Malar said...

3 generation under 1 roof??? Wow!

Amel said...

I feel that we've experienced "Empty Nest" period without having actually experienced life with kids, if that makes sense. We have to grieve the losses of not having kids and now focusing on living our life to the fullest just the two of us (after the kid dream died). :-)

Oh, and I get what you mean about having a house big enough to hold 3 generations. MIL has said a few times that she wishes we could all live next door to one another he he he he...:-) I guess it's a normal wish to have for a mom. :-)

Blur Ting said...

Petunia - I knew it would make you smile :)

Blur Ting said...

Malar - Yes! My dream house. Not sure if 'the kids have the same dream or not. Most likely the daughters-in-law would do anything to not stay together with me.

Blur Ting said...

Amel - You two make a really sweet couple and are perfect for each other.

Chowmahalla Palace

During our week in Hyderabad, some of the places we visited include the Mecca Mosque, the Charminar (the icon of Hyderabad), Sufi Shrine, Bi...