Thursday 25 December 2008

Mum to the rescue

Before I went to bed last night, I texted YK to take the train home after the Christmas bash. His friend's father is from Europe, so they were celebrating Christmas in a big way. I received YK's call at 11.40pm. The gates at the train station had already closed as service ended early due to the Christmas holiday. "What about your friends?", I asked, annoyed that my sleep was interrupted.

"Their parents have fetched them home. One walked home cos he lives nearby. I'm the only one at the station. Sorry to wake you up...."

So, I picked him up from the station which is about 10 minutes drive away. It's mum to the rescue again. That's something nice about having a family, somehow you can always count on parents and siblings for help.

I remember how mum would rouse my father from his sleep on cold rainy mornings to send us to the bus stop. When I was a young adult, I would come home from parties in the wee hours of the morning to find dad waiting up for me.

Sometimes I wonder about other parents, especially those with abusive or bad kids. I know an old lady who has a son like that. He never cares about her welfare but would come knocking whenever he's in need of money or help. She avoids him like plague yet sometimes she feels sorry for him. He's her son afterall.

I often read about criminals being sentenced to death or imprisonment. Their parents would be at the court hearing, traumatised and heartbroken. How did their child end up like this? They chide themselves for not bringing their kid up properly. Can a parent ever hate his own child? It's a very tough one. And it is too easy to judge other people but no parent wish anything like that to happen to their own child.

I wonder how I end up discussing about this today. I, for one, can never stay angry with my kids for long. It'll be interesting to hear what other parents have to say but I've got to go now to bring mum to the dentist and then to her GP to pick up some medicine.

11 comments:

Burcu said...

You know, nobody is perfect and there are fights or at least arguments,discussions in every family. Sometimes we might break our parents' heart and then the regret occurs deep in your heart and you start to say "i wish i didn't have said those words, how could i do that,etc..."
But mothers and fathers are always "the forgivers" without doubt.

We, humans, are very lucky that we always have somebody near by our sides who protects us without any expectation.

Thanks for sharing your thoughts with us.

Have a nice weekend!

huier said...

my mom onced said, "mu nu mei you ge ye chou." i guess it must be true.

Anonymous said...

Nothing greater than a parent's love. That is why I can't understand abusive or unloving parents... they are indeed a wonder!

Amel said...

I'm no parent so I don't know what to say about this...I just hope that when and if my turn comes, I'm given the wisdom to go through everything that comes my way.

Anonymous said...

thanks blur. your words made me cried. i guess i should apologise to my parents although they had already forgiven me. by the way, i like your blog, have been following it for a few months. Happy New Year to all :)

Blur Ting said...

Burcu - As a parent,I think the love we have for our own children is unconditional because it has been nurtured from the day the baby has been conceived. We had cared for the child when they were at their most delicate and fragile stage, all the way until their adulthood. The bond is always there.

Blur Ting said...

Huier - It's very true. My mum has her own version of that too. She says there is nothing she can't take to with her own daughter. No barriers at all.

Blur Ting said...

JY - I can't understand how a parent can be mean to their child. That puzzles me too.

Blur Ting said...

Amel - You will be a good mother I am very positive of that. Plus you have had good influence from your own mother!

Blur Ting said...

Hi Anonymous - Thanks for reading my blog. You know what? Parents love to see their own kids on the right track but they also understand that sometimes things may not happen they way they want it. As long as you know how to seek forgiveness and show your parents that you are sincere to change for the better, they will be so proud of you.

Nick Phillips (15/03/1967 - 04/11/2022) said...

A mothers love knows no bounds!

Chowmahalla Palace

During our week in Hyderabad, some of the places we visited include the Mecca Mosque, the Charminar (the icon of Hyderabad), Sufi Shrine, Bi...