Thursday 13 May 2010

Outburst

Outburst. Something I grew quite familiar with. Nobody likes an outburst. It was my ex, you see. Terrible outburst followed by apology. Unfortunately it stops working after a while. Too late. The damage has been done. It cannot be undone.

I had an outburst of some sort last week. Nothing to do with the ex. Don't be mistaken, I didn't scream at anybody. After running around like a headless chicken in the hot weather, I felt angry and taken for granted. I tried so hard to suppress the urge to vent. I picked up my phone, created an sms and deleted it immediately.

I know that words, once spoken, can never be taken back. So I held my tongue. Back at the office, I received an email that made my blood boil again, the same emotions that I had been struggling to squelch all morning. Within seconds, I had hammered out an email.

This time, I hit the 'send' button before my courage fails me again. I regretted it immediately yet it was the only way I knew how to put my feelings across. I am totally non-confrontational. At my worst, I'm passive-aggressive. That is how CH would describe me when I ignore him for days. I am also not bossy. If anything, I find myself getting bossed around, and hating myself for it.

Sometimes the advent of technology can be a blessing. For people like us, it provides other avenues to get our message across.

The apology came a while later. She said she should have been more sensitive. Then I felt like such a whiner (not a winner). I had over reacted. Now I feel a little awkward and worry that things may never be the same again. For better or for worse, who knows?

5 comments:

The Real Mother Hen said...

Some studies, I believe, said outburst is good. Indeed, contrary to popular belief, outburst isn't all bad.

I'll be the first to admit that I have an outburst once in a while.

Petunia Lee said...

Gee... I know how that feels too. The explosion and then the regret.

Fresh Fry aka 福星 said...

i guess its good to pace our emotions = not let things bottle up, let it out when it happens, though i'm not referring to outbursts. but seek to clarify + solve there and then, so u wun feel being taken for a ride?

Nick Phillips (15/03/1967 - 04/11/2022) said...

We all need to vent every now and then ...

Vivien Ho said...

Ting, I had an outburst recently too. Blame it on the hot weather.. haha. If you want to express it via email, I think it's better to type it down W/O putting the sender's email. Sometimes, after writing it, you find you would have cooled down and have no need to email it.

Chowmahalla Palace

During our week in Hyderabad, some of the places we visited include the Mecca Mosque, the Charminar (the icon of Hyderabad), Sufi Shrine, Bi...