Sunday 8 April 2007

Word play

CH and I like to engage in word play. Our repartees keep us amused on a dull workday.

Today, I accidentally referred to ‘touts’ as ‘touters’.

CH: A person who touts is a tout, not a touter. Just as a person who ushers is an usher and not an usherer, and a marshal…

Suddenly our mundane Monday didn’t seem so boring anymore.

Me: Oh, did I say touter? I knew it but it slipped my mind (or fingers)! So I'm a lout, not a louter. Can?

CH : *pouts*

Me : That makes you a pouter. How come a person who pouts is a pouter, while a lout is not a louter, and a cook is not a cooker? Yet one who loots is a looter? Why?

CH : Then hooters are people who hoot lah?

Me : Want *hoot* is it?
'to hoot' is 'to fight' in hokkien

Well, what can I say? English is the strangest language....

No comments:

Chowmahalla Palace

During our week in Hyderabad, some of the places we visited include the Mecca Mosque, the Charminar (the icon of Hyderabad), Sufi Shrine, Bi...