Sunday 2 March 2008

Big man, small bag

In Singapore, men these days show their affection for their partners by carrying their handbags. I'm not talking about daddies carrying nappy bags or wifey's floral weekend totes, but young men toting cutesy handbags on their shoulder.

I couldn't stop sniggering when I saw a big Hulk of a man carrying his girlfriend's tiny handbag the other day. She was nowhere in sight but the image of him hanging on to the delicate little bag was ridiculous. The visual was just so wrong. What's up with our men these days?

I would never make CH carry my handbag. Well, even if I did, my androgynous looking totes would make him look metrosexual instead of sissy. Maybe I belong to the independent group of women who dislike being the helpless damsel in distress. Perhaps I have not been given the opportunity to be one. My parents, who were too busy to molly-coddle us, taught us to be independent from young.

In Singapore, finding a date who opens doors for ladies is like searching for a needle in the haystack. Our men are just not brought up to treat ladies that way (I guess that makes CH an exception). Yah, maybe they will try while they're dating but the moment they get hitched, all the chivalry fly out of the window.

We can't blame them actually cos women like us don't give them any opportunity. From Monday to Sunday, I open the car door myself, drive myself everywhere, gobble down my meals quickly, and then suddenly when I'm out on a date, I have to rely on my man to open the door, pull out a chair, carry my handbag and drive me home? Well, that's being pretentious.

That doesn't mean you men out there should stop being chivalrous. Just ignore me. I'm sure you don't want to lose points with your lady.

11 comments:

SOUL said...

that's funny. you need to get a pic to put with this post tho. i hear ya though. a lot of times i have to catch myself -- on the days that soulman wants to get the door , or whatever--- but don't worry-- he would never carry my purse! well.. i take that back-- he has carried my purse for me a time or two if my back hurt real bad.. but he wouldn't do it for any other reason. it is quite funny to see now that i think back on it-- a big guy like him with a purse! :))

anyhow... chivalry isn't dead-- just resting. :))

Blur Ting said...

Hey Soul! The door thing happens to me many times too.

Another one... When we were at the restaurant last Friday, the waiter pulled out a chair for me. I went and sat on the other one. I just wasn't paying enough attention. It was embarrassing for him, and for me too.

I really should catch myself sooner in future...

Anonymous said...

yes..it is nice to be spoiled once in awhile..but you're right..Asian men probably arent as chivalrous as western guys... oh well.... then when all of a sudden they're TOO nice...you're like "so..what do you want???" LOL

Blur Ting said...

You're right! When they're not nice, we complain. Then they try to be nice, and we become suspicious :-)

Amel said...

HI HI HI HI HI...I remember one time I asked Arttu to hold my bag for me. I forgot where we were, though...but I needed to go to the toilet and I didn't need to bring my bag with me, but he refused since it was a girly bag HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA...

Amel said...

Oh yeah...Arttu and I never really "dated" anyway, so I can't give comparisons he he he...

Blur Ting said...

Yah Amel, he's a real man. :-)

The Real Mother Hen said...

Please tell my husband to carry my bag for me, instead of me carrying his camera bag and chasing after him!
OMG! :)

Blur Ting said...

Yes, I will make him carry his own camera bags and your bag when you guys are in Singapore! He'll carry our shopping bags too!

Nick Phillips (15/03/1967 - 04/11/2022) said...

I can't stand men who carry handbags ... I never carry wifeys handbag and if I for some unknown reason have to hold on to it, I'll try and keep it as inconspicuous as possible! LOL!

Chivalry is lost after you get hitched, didn't you know that BT? LOL!

It's something wifey and me call SOP (Standard Operating Procedure) Before you're married, you'd go all out to impress, after you're married, to hell with it. And we notice it happens with lots of people.

Anonymous said...

It's difficult to find experienced people for this subject,
but you sound like you know what you're talking about! Thanks

My web-site ... Gehen an dieser Web site

Chowmahalla Palace

During our week in Hyderabad, some of the places we visited include the Mecca Mosque, the Charminar (the icon of Hyderabad), Sufi Shrine, Bi...